Electric conversions, recommendations?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me if this has been answered before. I searched the site and still have a couple of questions that perhaps someone can answer. First I noticed that Amazon offers Aosom 48V 1000W in front and rear wheel conversions. Is there any major drawback/advantage to a FWD setup? It looks like it would be an easier installation on a single speed bike. Any one tried this brand? Finally, what is the range of such a setup, is it more of a hill topper or can it be used for a short commute?

There are pros and cons to FWD especially if you intend to go over 500 watts. There is a lot of torque and front drop outs can spread or worse snap off aluminum forks if you don't use torque arms. When going uphill especially with sandy/wet/dusty terrain you can have wheel spin, plus it's a lot of rotating mass up front which will affect steering especially with a hub motor large enough to put out 1K watts. On my bike with a Golden Motor 901 hub motor, 48 volt 10 amp battery and 1500 watt controller I can get about 40kms and peak speeds of just over 50 km/hr. That's plenty fast for a bicycle with standard wheels and brakes. If you want to go faster you need more voltage, front/rear suspension and better brakes.

http://www.goldenmotor.ca This is basically the same kit without the lead acid battery charger. You can order it in front or rear versions and sizes from 20" to 700c, these are also disc brake compatible which is a good idea if you're going to start riding around town at 30mph.

Most sellers of front hub motors recommend that you do not use an aluminum suspension fork with it. But, there are plenty if steel suspension forks sold on big box store bikes like Next, Schwinn and Pacific.
-Front hub motors are easier to install than rear hub motors.

You can use aluminum forks without worry if you add a torque arm to each side of the fork. There really aren't any good steel drop out suspension forks available and the ones that are have very thin drop outs. The concern isn't the material but whether they will spread open or simply break off.

Latest posts

Back