Electra Cruiser + BBSHD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

Not new to motorizing bikes, but new to eBikes. I keep using the hardest frame (in my opinion) to work on but it I love it, the Electra Cruiser 1. Picked up the frame from craigslist for $100 and then converted it to a 3spd using a Shimano IGH. Ordered a BBSHD, 100mm bottom bracket adapter (this bike had the one piece crank), mini apes, twist throttle from Luna Cycle. I already had a hub brake so I just decided to use that.

Installation of the BBSHD was fairly simple thanks to a lot of the documentation and youtubers out there.

Deciding on the battery however ...
I had to do a lot of research on what type of battery would fit this thing. As I said before - this frame is not the best to work with but I was determined to make it work. So I looked at the different shapes and sizes and constructed some mockups to fit it on the bike. I settled on a 52V 20AH Triangle Lithium Battery from Uppbattery (https://www.uppbattery.com).

After some test runs on this thing, I found a nice flat road and got this thing up 28mph on 3rd gear which surprised me. It can comfortably do about 20-22 with no problem.

If anyone has questions about the build, I would be happy to answer them.

Attachments

• IBAO7654.JPG
    IBAO7654.JPG
    513.1 KB · Views: 277
  • KZJW5333.JPG
    KZJW5333.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 251
  • VOXE8778.JPG
    VOXE8778.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 250
  • WQFN5548.JPG
    WQFN5548.JPG
    475.8 KB · Views: 225
Wow! Great build. I'm curious as to how those 3 speed nexus hubs will take the torque over a long period of time. I don't recall ever seeing anybody else do this, though a buddy of mine runs a weird external/internal hub setup (sram...I think the brand is?) on his bafang 1500w setup. How well does it work with the coaster brake? I didn't even know you could use both a mid-drive and coaster brake in conjunction. Neato!

I'm not using a coaster brake on this set up. I'm using a rim brake in the front, which isn't working out too well. Due to that I had to switch the setup a bit. The rear wheel (24 x 2.125 (12g spokes) / SA 3spd + drum brake hub) which replaced the old wheel (24 x 1.75 / 14G spokes / Shimano Nexus 3spd + free wheel) - which is way wider - added more weight and was a huge pain to install overall. A frame spreader would've have come in very handy. I'm not too pleased with the weight but it will work for now.

I also added the Lekkie Bling Ring - which really helped out a lot. Nice piece. Anyway - overall more weight was added but it rides a little better and slower but safer.

Attachments

• IMG_5255.JPG
    IMG_5255.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_5256.JPG
    IMG_5256.JPG
    587.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_5257.JPG
    IMG_5257.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    299.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_5259.JPG
    IMG_5259.JPG
    419.2 KB · Views: 180
Ordered a BBSHD, 100mm bottom bracket adapter (this bike had the one piece crank), mini apes, twist throttle from Luna Cycle. I already had a hub brake so I just decided to use that.
Installation of the BBSHD was fairly simple thanks to a lot of the documentation and youtubers out there.
If anyone has questions about the build, I would be happy to answer them.
I've been considering converting an electro-forged Schwinn frame for conversion and had already determined that the BB conversion is required and that it'll be an easy job to do. It would appear that you didn't have any issues with mounting the motor with that larger diameter BB shell, which is my main concern. Did you have any mounting issues I may need to address? What kind of wattage, make and model is your motor? Thanks!

When you order, pick the correct size for the BB (I chose the standard size - 68mm - 73mm). They also offer spacers to offset any gap you may have so it would be a good idea to pick those up too.

I am running an IGH so I also picked up the gear sensor cable however, I am not switching gears while hitting the throttle so I didn't wind up using it. I also picked up the Lekkie Bling Ring but that did not match up to the Connex chain (1/2 1/8) I was using so I went back to the original chain ring the kit came with.

The kit comes with a thumb throttle, but I've been riding motorcycles for over 15yrs now, so I ditched that and went with Luna's right hand twist throttles.
Note: If you are going to pick these up - in my experience once you put these on - it's semi-permanent. Very very hard to get off the bars once they are on.

The pedals that work with this kit are 1/2inch - so make sure you have those as well. Finally, do yourself a solid and pick up the BBSHD wrench, it will make your life easier (link above).

Hope that helps and good luck with your build!

1. If anyone is starting a 3sp e-conversion with NO coaster brake.
2. And if you don't have the wheels yet.
3. And you are worried about the hub life expectancy...
You could take this roller brake hub (I don't know if they offer a disk version), which is heavy duty:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SG-3R75-B.html
You should know that it gets adjusted in third gear.

1. If anyone is starting a 3sp e-conversion with NO coaster brake.
2. And if you don't have the wheels yet.
3. And you are worried about the hub life expectancy...
You could take this roller brake hub (I don't know if they offer a disk version), which is heavy duty:

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-inter3/SG-3R75-B.html
You should know that it gets adjusted in third gear.
Toro, do you think the shimano IM41 roller would be enough for a rear ebike brake?
rollerbrake-IM41.jpg

I don't know. How fast do you want to go? You still have bicycle suspension, frame, fork, tires and rims, brakes... I would stay around 35 kmh top. Then it would probably be enough, just make sure the motor stopped before braking and you should be OK. You will have a front brake too, right?
On my electric I chose the version with the bigger heat sink disk because it should be less prone to overheating, but I had the other version before and no problem with it either. In the front I have a 203 mm disk, just in case. I myself do use the front brake mostly, if I have a coaster brake and both brakes simultaneously when I have installed front and rear brakes.
But I think if the roller brake is set up correctly it is effective enough. I like it tighter so it already works with a little pull. Yours will probably work, but the newer ones are considerably better, so for this reason alone a new one with the biggest heat sink disk is a worthy upgrade. They look great too especially on the heavy duty hub.

Last edited:
I don't know. How fast do you want to go? You still have bicycle suspension, frame, fork, tires and rims, brakes... I would stay around 35 kmh top. Then it would probably be enough, just make sure the motor stopped before breaking and you should be OK. You will have a front brake too, right?
On my electric I chose the version with the bigger heat sink disk because it should be less prone to overheating, but I had the other version before and no problem with it either. In the front I have a 203 mm disk, just in case. I myself do use the front brake mostly, if I have a coaster brake and both brakes simultaneously when I have installed front and rear brakes.
But I think if the roller brake is set up correctly it is effective enough. I like it tighter so it already works with a little pull. Yours will probably work, but the newer ones are considerably better, so for this reason alone a new one with the biggest heat sink disk is a worthy upgrade. They look great too especially on the heavy duty hub.
ebike is probably a year away unless I win the lottery, but I know which one'd I'd do up.

I have a SA drum hub on the front, so it's probably good. I'd be a little nervous about the ebay triple tree forks folding up in emergency breaking, but we'll see .
Rear has Shimano Nexus 8 with the above roller on it, I guess I could change to the bigger roller w/ heat sink if it became a problem

Do you have a pic of the fork you plan on using? If it is one of those rigid triple trees like on a Felt Cruiser I don't think you have anything to worry about, they look quite solid with the fat legs.
Still, if you stay in the realm of bicycle speeds with or without a motor there won't be any difference. Bicycle speed requires bicycle brakes.

I would use a suspension fork. Of course best scenario would be a downhill fork or one for motorized builds because they are triple tree and look cool, but any good suspension fork will do. It will make for the motor (and the frame with the added weight of motor and battery) to experience as little stress as possible.
There is also the option to try and adapt a leading link moped fork... It doesn't sag while braking, but it rises. (it is on my dream build list).

I plan on reworking the fully a little and give it some miles and then I can report how it is with a SA front drum brake and the Shimano roller brake in the rear (no electric, but still). But from the little I rode it they seem adequate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back