EL THUNDER( this thread is dead)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is not quite a new build but one I started in builds. I decided to not build much anymore so gave most of my stuf to my neigbor.

well one thing led to another and since he like to build with motors and he has a 1986 yamaha riva that needed alot of work we decided to rebuild the Burrito I started and put the engine in it. it's 50 cc, 4.5 hp and 4.3 torque. so today I tore it all apart and took the engine and wiring out and other things we will need. we will rebuild the frame different. sorry no pic's at this time of what I did today.

my insperation came from the bike "ROACH". we will build the frame something like that instead of what I started to do. there will be no pedals on this one. so on with the build.

here is a pic of what we will start with. that tire is a 16"x130mm motorcycle tire on a 4" schwinn chopper rim . will take pic's as we go along.

ELGRANDECHOPPA009.jpg

Outlaw :)

Re: EL THUNDER

I am so drooling over that tire on the OCC rim.
I am going to have to find two of those for Fugsley!!

King, just go to your nice harly dealer and see if they have 2 used ones. thats what I did, it's worn some but ok for this. your bike is lookin good. oh, chain clearence, I won't be running pedals on this just the motor and the drive is on the right side. don't know yetwhat we will be up against but I don't think it will be too bad. :| . on with the build.

.... good start!!! Can't wait to see the progress pics!!!

thanks, we have alot of work ahead of us to do.

Outlaw

Are you still going to do an "anything" goes build?

Kota, Yep, when ever steve says start. haven't heard much about it lately. if more builders woud post a want maybe we could get this thru. hi steve,I know your reading this.lol.

so Kota, are you in on the buildoff or what. no I will not be doing El thunder for it either. got something else up my sleave for it.

Outlaw :lol:

here is some pic's of the schooter and engine after I pulled it out:

063.jpg

062.jpg

061.jpg

064.jpg

060.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/45Longrider/059.jpg[/img

[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg58/45Longrider/058.jpg

057.jpg

this is a 1986 yamaha riva schooter or used to be, I cut it up real good.lol. oh and that is my new shop at our new home.

this is the first time I have worked with this engine and I like it as the drive is all on thr right side so I don't have to put anything on the left side, I think thats good. where the rear tire was I cut the spokes out so we can use the hub to mount a sprocket and the best part is that hub is also the rear brake so we will be able to have a brake on this with no problems. I like this. I cut the rear part off as this has all the mounts on the top with rubber absorbers so not much vibs going on. we will mount this to the frame and the engine will be hung from the orginal frame. pretty kool I think. this motor has an auto tranny but I don't know how many gears it has. it also has a kick starter and a electric start. we will have running lighta and turn sig's.lol. I may buy a bike computer to see how fast we go. well on with the build.

Outlaw :D

OUTLAW said:
so Kota, are you in on the buildoff or what. no I will not be doing El thunder for it either. got something else up my sleave for it.

Not this time. I NEED a break!...But I'll be watching (both of your builds). :wink:

Show these "kids" how it's done, OUTLAW. :lol:

Kota, well I will give it my darnest, but we got some very good builders on here that has already show me some stuff. even after all the real choppers I have built and rode. but I'll see what I can do.lol

Re: EL THUNDERwith picture's

I picked up a bunch of FREE Harley tires today and took some measurements.

Can you please post the full factory size info of your rear tire along some measurements?

For example the tires I am putting on Fugsley are:
Two Harley Davidson Dunlop D402F MT 90 B 16 72H and it's dimensions are:
Inside Diameter = 16"
Outside Diameter = 25"
Outside Width (bead to bead) =3"
Outsude Width = 5"

Also,check out the tire mounting jig I made for Fugsley with a little redneck engineering. The second side of the the tire popped on in less than 2-3 minutes with no tools at all!

Photo_A686F91A-F3F5-0F70-1955-3C18EFB7DB7F.jpg

sorry, I am out of town for awhile. when I get back I will. thanks.

Outlaw

well back at home. my buddy got a new mig so now we can start to weld the frame up and get this show on the road. haven't had time to measure my back wheel but will do soon. still alot of work ahead of us but we'll get er done. I'll post pic's as we go along. the motor we will leave stock for the time being. hope it has a nuff stuff to turn that big wheel. will have to play around with the gearing. so, on with the build. :D

Outlaw 8)

Re: EL THUNDER with picture's

josh, thanks, we will too.lol. got to do some more grinding on the motor mount then will beable to start welding up the frame. well started the fram today, working on the bottom frame. getting use to the new mig. I haven't welded for yrs. I'll be taking pic's of the frame soon.

Re: EL THUNDER with picture's

got alot of the frame done today. got too dark to take pictures. won't be doing anything on it for the next 2 days, haveing company so hopfully sat. I'll get some pic's for ya all. thats it for now. :)

Outlaw :wink:

Re: EL THUNDER with frame picture's added

ok, so here are some pic's of the frame:

006-Copy.jpg

heres the tire with the rest of the name that someone wanted.

005-Copy.jpg

004-Copy.jpg

003-Copy.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

the center section is the motor mount and the engine hangs from the top and has rubber mounts so the vibs won't be felt so much. if you look at the first pic's you will see how much I cleaned it up. didn't get to do any more welding today, it has been raining and windy and I don't weld inside the shop. well thats just a little bit of what we have been doing, there is more to come. :wink:

Outlaw 8)

Re: EL THUNDER ( WE HAVE A ROLLER)

We have a roller. will have to cut and undo some things to get the fit better but at least we now know what it will look like. most of the time I just build from a vision but most of my insperation came from the bike Roach but with some different changes. so here ya go: :D

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

well that is it for now. still alot of work to do. thanks for looking. :D

Re: EL THUNDER ( WE HAVE A ROLLER)

Wicked!