El Guapo Down (need Felt hub advice - please)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - I don't know jack about about coaster brake rear hubs, and 2 local bike shops tell me I need a new rear wheel... weeks back a loud noise came from the rear hub while riding and shortly afterwards the sprocket started slipping from the rear hub. The wheel is straight with no play, sprocket firm, and it brakes fine... just the sprocket slips and doesn't engage the hub when I pedal.

I really don't want a new wheel, love the bike as-is, but haven't found anything close on-line, Marketplace, eBay, CL, etc.

Hoping someone here can help, and knows better than the bike shops that just want to replace stuff or sell me a new bike. Can I replace the innards of the rear hub somehow? part # or link? anyone have a spare Felt red wheel or other ideas to get the El Guapo on the road?

Thanks!!
Kenny

Felt1.jpg

Felt2.jpg

Felt3.jpg

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bicycles/1speed/1speed_overhaul.htm

Pretty thorough info on the Shimano CB-110 coaster. You probably have this hub or a Chinese copy.
Should be fixable. :thumbsup:
From the above, "
The Brains Are in the Clutch Assembly
As this article makes clear, the brains and personality of the coaster brake are in the clutch assembly. If the designed in forward drag is too strong, it will be hard to pedal (but still easy to coast). If the designed in forward drag is too little, the rider might need to spin the pedals forward several times to engage. If the clutch breaks so as to allow reverse rotation of the clutch main body, braking might require several backward turns or might not work at all. If the compression spring between clutch platform and clutch main body became severely weakened, braking might continue after the rider stops applying backward pressure, in which case the rider would need to consciously pedal forward to cease braking.

If your clutch fails, you can either get one out of a dumpsterized kids' bike or buy one new. Obviously, either way, the part must be identical and must be functioning correctly. Fortunately, most kids' bikes are thrown away because they were outgrown, not because they were ridden thousands of miles."

Hello Kenny,

As one of the Rat Rod Bikes member posted to you ... Felt DID have some issues with the OFF-SET SPROCKET on these bikes ... the DEEP off-set puts extra stress on the connection where the sprocket attaches to the "Driver" unit....
FIRST ... get a visual with the wheel off of the bike and on your workbench .... put a forward-pull on the SPROCKET (just like you were riding the bike) ...
You might want to remove the chain and wrap the chain around your sprocket and turn it CLOCKWISE to see UP CLOSE if the Sprocket is spinning AROUND the "Driver Unit"
(I feel THAT might be the issue ... that the sprocket is spinning on the "Driver Unit")
IF THAT seems to be the issue ... and FELT doesn't want to help you on this issue ...
Order one of these off of Ebay >>>https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-Sproc...300232?hash=item4b0409d448:g:i~YAAOSw-0xYgkWL
IF your sprocket spins forward ALONG WITH THE "Driver Unit" then the BEST fix is just a new "GUTS INSERT" for your Coaster Brake (which I should have for $20 plus shipping)
Make sure your Coaster Brake is made by "KT" ("KT" is a Taiwan Coaster Brake Co.)
It may say: KT Hi-Stop on the Coaster Brake Arm
Replacing the whole "Guts Insert" is really pretty easy to do ...
BUT FIRST do that "Bench Test" as I described above (because the Sprocket only might be the problem (which is only $12.95 on eBay plus $5.00 shipping)
Good Luck! CCR Dave

Latest posts

Back