Economical Ways To Mail Bike Parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am wandering how so many parts and bikes are mailed out so cheap through the buy/sell:
Example:
I have some ape bars I want to sell for 20 bucks plus shipping. Say I set a price of 15 bucks for shipping. The buyer could be 100 miles away or 1,000 miles away? Seems to me that shipping could cost more?

I would assume that there are many packing styles and different carriers that are used. But, what is the cheapest and best type of packing material? I received a sissy bar via fed ex that was wrapped in FedEx Tyvek. I agree the risk for damage was greater that way but it did work for him. Currently, the only thing I am comfortable with is getting a shipping quote or use a flat rate package. I do have a scale which will help. I have two bikes that I am wanting to part out. 66 Coppertone panther (all original) and a 72 Orange Manta Ray.
Thanks,
Red1

Wrap the bars in cardboard and send them away!

This is how I just received a package of 1 tire, 1 inner tube, and 4 rim tapes. Pretty economical I'd say :)
evebuge7.jpg

I LIKE BIKES

Excellent Packing - I am hoping that more members can enlighten us on some packing and carrier tips?? I think the forum would benefit alot with more input in this area. Just a thought.

Key thing is, " The smaller the package the cheaper it is".. So if your sending out parts or a complete bike.? Pack it tight and as small as you can.. They take the demensions in consideration to the shipping and that means more $$$..
Food for thought..

I wonder where I can buy a big roll of that cellophane wrap? That could be used in multiple ways. Are most sellers using Fed Ex or USPS? Never really got a answer from original post. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Red

You can buy this stuff at HOME DEPOT. Right next to the moving boxes.
USPS is what I use. They are all too expensive. I shipped a Cruiser from New Mexico to New Jersey. I took it all apart. Shipped everything except the Frame, Crank and Fork. I packed it lite and tite. It still cost me 48.00. I almost said forget it. But I already had it packed.
Fed Ex is NUTS. They leave stuff on the steps without even ringing the doorbell. Or on the back porch in the rain. I make this Fed Ex statement after I had personal experience with them. I avoid them like STD.
Good Luck.

Great input. Any other experiences like that out there?
More info from shippers will surely benefit the post.
Thanks!

You can buy this stuff at HOME DEPOT. Right next to the moving boxes.
USPS is what I use. They are all too expensive. I shipped a Cruiser from New Mexico to New Jersey. I took it all apart. Shipped everything except the Frame, Crank and Fork. I packed it lite and tite. It still cost me 48.00. I almost said forget it. But I already had it packed.
Fed Ex is NUTS. They leave stuff on the steps without even ringing the doorbell. Or on the back porch in the rain. I make this Fed Ex statement after I had personal experience with them. I avoid them like STD.
Good Luck.
I have to speak up, I work for Fed Ex ground as a Driver. With that being said, I work for a contractor who owns the route including the trucks,I go out of my way to make sure my packages are closer to the door than UPS... and I ring the doorbell, as far as rain we keep bags in our trucks and I still try to place stuff out of the weather. Why do I do this, because I care ( and I don't want complaints, ) too many complaints, and I don't have a job. Shipping ? I use USPO.. why ? cause it is actually easier for me than going through my work.

You can speak for yourself and your own style. But I have had 5 Different Nightmares with Fed Ex. Other people use it when they send me stuff.
Two boxes Delivered to my back door on two different dates. In the Rain. Both cost me 1100.00 and 1200.00 wholesale cost. Soaking wet. Tee Shirts. and Boxes inside RUINED.
Other three boxes . One I never got. Fed Ex said they delivered it to my front door as they did not require a signature. Lost that one. Two others were left at the wrong location. I called them. They gave me a story and I walked around the complex and found them. I was lucky.
This is not the way Anyone should do business. I have a friend who works for Fed Ex and he says he never does this stuff. But that I should complain!.
Must be a route owned by someone who does not care.
There are my 5 complaints about Fed Ex. True Nightmares.
Fed Ex truck, Fed Ex Company. SO Fed Ex gets the blame.
Sorry but just the truth out here.

Latest posts

Back