RRBBO13 Dyno twin-flex special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Dr. Tankenstein! That's where I first saw the schwinn style springer used in a reversed position - cool idea and sounds like it works well. I may do something like this but I'm leaning more towards a monark style double spring set up. Once the springs arrive I'll do a couple of mock-up photos.
Mine will probably be more for looks not function - it depends on time, I need to do the sheet metal work & that may take me a while.

Last edited:
arg...lost my original response trying to load images

Yes we're on the same page Glen, this would be totally cool x 1 gazillion & the icing on the tank cake
I like the one you've shown the best but they can be a bit pricey, I might be lucky there are some starting their auctions lower...
These kinds go for a bit less and are still cool:

View attachment 76689 View attachment 76692

3 for $25 - these might work nicely on the tank...or there's this:

View attachment 76690 NOOooooooo! :)

3 for $25 isn't a bad price... two on the tank and one on the chainguard maybe. Good style too.

The type I posted are certainly expensive... $103.90 for a pair on Trade Me from an Aussie dealer.

I agree with you on the bogan one... a definate nooooooo!

Glen.

I like the lettering. I build my bikes about 95% out of the trash, but sometimes I'll see something that no matter how expensive, I can't live without it !!!

Thanks Donnie, I ended up buying the long skinny lettering, they arrived during the week and they're going to fit the tank really well. The other styles were a bit too big to look good on a tank.

I set a goal to advertise 1 bike a week to sell stuff I don't ride, but this means time wrenching on bikes instead of building for the build-off. It was a long weekend though, with 2 winter days of no rain, so I got a bit of painting done and made a start on smacking sheet metal for the fender light. I haven't finished with the shaping yet, and I'll shape a strip to hold a lens. The pinstriping turned out OK for a 1st effort - I tried to mix the red to match rustoleum antique red, but it came out a bit darker than that - nothing I can't live with.
I cleaned off the red fingerprints after this photo :)

IMG20180611142952.jpg
IMG20180611182716.jpg

Also started on the rear springer after a lucky find at the recycling centre - a 1/2" diameter chomed towel rail, same diameter as the front springer struts. Got the curve in place, now working on the springs, photo soon.

Last edited:
Rims came out nice!

Thanks Kingfish! - Any advice on how to lace them without scratching the paint? I was thinking tape around the threaded end until they're in place, but maybe there's a better idea?

Love the color combination on the rims and the pinstripes look great!

The spokes are somewhat flexible. I have bowed them in the middle to get the end through the hole. I think if you protect the ends with your fingers as you guide them into the holes you should be able to keep from scratching the rims. Also keep all of the nipples loose until you get them all in place. Good luck!

Thanks Kingfish! - Any advice on how to lace them without scratching the paint? I was thinking tape around the threaded end until they're in place, but maybe there's a better idea?

You'll just have to bend them a lot and be real careful going through the hole. Tricky business. Those hoops look great.

IMG_20180617_224426.jpg

Success and no scratches! Just kept my finger over the spoke tips as suggested.

It was too cold to spend much time in the shed ... stayed long enough to harvest the sachs 3 speed coaster hub to take inside and build into the new wheel. Had to buy a wheel at the recycling centre today to harvest its spokes for the front drum hub wheel , & also found a clear plastic thing that should hopefully work as a lens for the fender light. I think that might be all the bits hunted and gathered now. Please please let there be some painting weather next weekend!!

Last edited:
Nice lacing. Just takes time. Awesome wheelset!

Starting to get worried about the approaching deadline now...
Sorry about the crappy photo, started working on the tank on the w/e. Will shape a flat section for underneath the curved tank piece. I keep forgetting to bring the patterns to work with me to bandsaw cut the bucks, so I can shape the parts a little more from the outside. Also have to figure out what to do with the edges - I thought I had some small gauge plasticky vinyl type edging but I can't find it. And then how to hold it in place on the frame. Hope I haven't left things too late! Catching up with a friend I haven't seen for 30 years next w/e, so no workshop time - it'll be a mad dash to the finish line after that. I think I have a day of leave I can take to get stuff finished.

IMG20180708173714.jpg

Thank tank mock up looks cool.
I like the mesh and the "special" trim

Thanks kingfish, I just put the mesh there as a background, but maybe I will use it. I was planning on painting the upper tank cream/ivory, and the lower section polished metal. But maybe the mesh will look good. I might do both and see what looks good. I found a place near me that sells a rubber channel trim that should work to edge the sheet metal of the tank parts. I can't take my day off next week, so I'll be praying to the sun gods to give me a painting day on the last week of the BO. I really wanted to get the frame painted early on in the BO to get some feedback, now I'll just have to go with the voices in my head :confused::eek:o_O

Maybe you can use some door edge trim from an auto parts store.

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!!

countdown.gif

Latest posts

Back