Dyno Roadster "The Gentleman's Picnic" wood slat rack pg2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
EDIT: I invoked my ability to swap bikes, scroll down for Dyno pics

Okay after really enjoying last year's build off I've decided to throw my hat into the ring again and have another go. I've decided to build up my long-stillborn project which is a GT Windstream. The original thread is here:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22071&p=245418&hilit=hers#p245418

Anyway to cut a long story short I bought 2 of these on ebay for my girl and I to ride. She ended up getting a mint condition Felt Claire cruiser, I got a couple of other cruisers, and the GTs ended up gathering dust in the garage. :roll:

Starting point for the build off, half a pile of parts.
Windstream017.jpg

One bike that I've always loved is the Electra Delivery. While I was pondering ideas for what I could do to the GT it hit me - why not see how that looks as a delivery style bike?
51q-HdO-w-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So I've just gone out and had a play in the cold night in the shed and this is what I've mocked up. I think it'll take a bit of eye balling before I settle on the right size tank insert, and then I'll also have to make the call whether I run an additional cross tube in there as well. The problem is with the GT frame when you add another tube in there it starts to look very messy. :?
Windstream016.jpg

Re: GT Windstream (no name as yet)

Okay I'm going to swap bikes and give my Dyno roadster some love instead :mrgreen: Plan is something suitable for the upcoming Sydney Tweed Ride, so think Pashley, think picnic baskets and you're on the right track :wink:
246798_2105641007367_1435792202_32443067_549561_n.jpg

Re: Dyno Roadster Pashley style

2.5 weeks to go. We need to see less before photos and more during photos.
I am looking forward to seeing picnic backets and tweed on a stretch.

To quote Jake. Get ta buildin', Peace!

kingfish254 said:
2.5 weeks to go. We need to see less before photos and more during photos.
I am looking forward to seeing picnic backets and tweed on a stretch.

To quote Jake. Get ta buildin', Peace!
HEY!! WHAT HE SAID. YOU HEARD THE MAN. PEACE

Okay so I've been able to have a play with the Dyno last night and got some progress pics this morning! :mrgreen:

What's been done so far:
* Removed chain guard
* Removed mud guards
* Removed that muffler thing :roll:
* Wheels and tyres swapped from another of my bikes
* New Oury grips
* Flipped the seat post (the top end was rusty so I inverted it, looks like new now)
* Replaced the rusty seat with a better condition Dyno seat from the spares pile
* Dice valve caps
* Set up the riding position for me (knees just bent at maximum extension)
* Peeled off the decals on the top tube (which were coming off)

Looks like a different bike already! :mrgreen: I would love to have built it with a nice Brooks style leather saddle and matching grips, but she's being put together on a budget which means as many parts pile parts as possible!

CopyofPICT0008.jpg

CopyofPICT0004.jpg

CopyofPICT0002.jpg

Okay so from here the next steps are to drill the rear dropouts to accept the rack I have for the rear, and then fabricate a support arm that attaches to the seat frame (given a standard style frame isn't going to fit). And a couple of other detailing ideas, depending on if I can make them work :wink:

So I thought the girlfriend was working today, and I was planning a day working on the bike. Turns out I was wrong :oops: However, the good news was that we went to some vintage markets and I managed to pick up this awesome picnic basket for $10! She's in mint condition, with highlights being the bakerlite handle and the butterfly clasp thing. I'm guessing its 50s-ish with the bakerlite handle. Oh yeh, also got some argyle sox for the tweed ride too :mrgreen:

basket1.jpg

basket2.jpg

basket3.jpg

Re: Dyno Roadster aka "The Gentleman's Picnic"

So now into the next stage of my project, which is doing some work to attach a rack to the bike to carry the picnic basket.

First of all I dug up a round reflector and bolted that on, and then sat the rack in place to see how it looked. A lot of eyeballing later and I drilled some holes in the dropouts so I could bolt the rack on. Clearances are pretty tight under the rack, but should be okay.
dyno1.jpg

dyno2.jpg

And with the picnic basket on top
dyno4.jpg

dyno3.jpg

And I couldnt help but feel the rack was a little too bare without the basket on top, so I started makin up some timber slats for it. Still need to sort out attaching the slats, but Im happy with the look.
dyno5.jpg

dyno6.jpg

looks good with the basket i was thinking of doing the same thing to my ladies bike with a basket she picked up from the good will the other day... :wink:

Since the nickname is Gentleman's Club Picnic, you should have a portable stripper pole! :mrgreen: :p

Thanks guys. Will be interesting to see what kind of a response it gets at the Tweed Ride, certainly a bit different from anything else that was there last year :lol:

I've been playing some more with the wood slats on the rack, has come up pretty nice I think :mrgreen:

First of all I made up some supports so that all the slats were level and so I had something to bolt the outside slats to, and painted it black to hide it. I also gave the slats a coat of polyurethane.
dyno001.jpg

dyno002.jpg

I didnt't take any photos of bolting it together, but here's the finished result. So much prettier than the bare rack above!
dyno005.jpg

dyno006.jpg

dyno004.jpg

dyno003.jpg

Final step is the support arm that will go from the base of the rack to the seat frame.

Because the full wrap fenders are so expensive, besides hard to find!

quote="Phunkkid, post: 813495, member: 19980"]Why doesn't anyone like mud guards on roadsters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
B

Latest posts

Back