BO15 DURALIUS - 1936 Wards Hawthorne- Done. BOTH Of Them!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
732D7058-DE57-4582-8728-F0D5EC3B5BC3.jpeg
Before and stripping of the chain guard. The one I’m using actually looked worse than the other one. This is the only big job left, followed by about 10 odds and ends, a final polish, and finding a place to shoot. Then I have to get it all unloaded by 7, my time! I know your main photo is locked at the deadline for voting, but can you add to the finished thread later? I can’t remember.

Last couple odds and ends and chain guard mounted. Now to get them out of the garage and down to the beach for final shots. This was happening less than two hours before deadline.
01254782-CD91-44D3-99B6-8AA6B30A02E9.jpeg
03A1592D-253A-4C98-B6ED-99BF9744303F.jpeg

Yep, I did a his and hers! We’re only voting on the Men’s version, of course, but I wanted the wife, LBCV, to enjoy one as well. Both are 1936 Wards Hawthorne Duraliums with Silver King struts, deco stems, and accessory drilled chain guards. Hope you all enjoyed the thread and thank you for your consideration! It was a fun month and a welcome distraction! Finally, a bunch of you did self portraits, so that’s me at the bottom, with the Covid hair, Covid beard and Covid gut!
AD90243C-C480-44CB-86A3-ABD1FC995811.jpeg
6F9A03CB-AE98-4FFC-88F5-70FBB7690859.jpeg
7F3FCC27-F869-4F9A-B819-9A3D8FEADF02.jpeg
AD123274-17C3-4B73-B0A8-D82FC581BEB9.jpeg
FAACE04C-2FD9-4EA3-AE18-5B875BACBFDB.jpeg
87AD5547-0C1F-453E-868F-23588973C021.jpeg
759E96A3-2036-48E1-A7CB-A5B16D86DA5E.jpeg

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! These are brilliant literally and figuratively. Where on earth do you find copper bike chains? I NEED some.

Yep, I did a his and hers! We’re only voting on the Men’s version, of course, but I wanted the wife, LBCV, to enjoy one as well. Both are 1936 Wards Hawthorne Duraliums with Silver King struts, deco stems, and accessory drilled chain guards. Hope you all enjoyed the thread and thank you for your consideration! It was a fun month and a welcome distraction! Finally, a bunch of you did self portraits, so that’s me at the bottom, with the Covid hair, Covid beard and Covid gut! View attachment 137255View attachment 137256View attachment 137257View attachment 137258View attachment 137259View attachment 137261View attachment 137260
Great job LB!! Those are awesome! Both are very clean

Thanks man. I’d been planning and collecting parts for a while, but it still ended up being a fight to the finish! I’m really happy with the results.
I know what you mean I about the fight I ended up doing a his and hers and at one point I didn’t know which one to work on, Lol 266C9643-24D5-47FA-87A9-89B3833745D4.jpeg

Beautiful work! I've seen a lot of renditions of that frame with parts on it, yours has to be one of the nicest and best executed. :thumbsup:

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! These are brilliant literally and figuratively. Where on earth do you find copper bike chains? I NEED some.
Thank you! The half-link chains are readily available on most of the BMX sites. I needed three to do two bikes. Nothing else that I could find had a decent copper color. And I looked for a long time!

Beautiful work! I've seen a lot of renditions of that frame with parts on it, yours has to be one of the nicest and best executed. :thumbsup:
Thank you! It’s always nice to get compliments from the veterans of this site. You’ve seen it all!

It’s funny, I always find frames relatively cheap and search high and low for some of the original parts. So then when it’s done, it looks like I took a perfectly good complete bike and “ruined” it.If only they knew, lol!

Dang LBCJ! I think these may be your best Build Off bikes yet! The copper goes well with the aluminum, and those cream-colored tires really tie it all together! And the fact you were working on a bike for the Mrs. in the background to match makes this even better! Great job, and best of luck to ya!

Dang LBCJ! I think these may be your best Build Off bikes yet! The copper goes well with the aluminum, and those cream-colored tires really tie it all together! And the fact you were working on a bike for the Mrs. in the background to match makes this even better! Great job, and best of luck to ya!
Thanks man! I’ve had a copper and cream theme in mind for years, but it was more paint based. This all came to me because I picked up the ladies frame cheap. I had been riding mine in a BMX/street fighter style for a few years and was ready to do something cool and matchy with both of them. Then all I had to do was search for a fork, struts, stems, and chain guards for a year or so! I use the drop center Electra wheels on verything custom I do. They resemble the early versions and weigh nothing, making these custom bikes a lot more rideable!

Latest posts

Back