Dub's industrial build - Reborn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coaster brake isn't adequate enough for hill bombing so the next step is a disc brake, a big disc brake

20130621_123022.jpg

Rim mounted disc cut out of stainless on a waterjet, will be using an old mechanical mtb disc brake on it

I'm not 100% that fork leg welding won't hold, but you might consider some discreet gussets where the two parts of the legs come together. Not criticizing , just thinking out loud. If you don't I hope nothing bad happens. Great looking so far. :wink: 8)

I hear what ya saying, the forks are pretty sturdy though, I'd probably have issues with where the steerer tube is mounted first, I'll keep an eye on it anyhow :)

I got the disc brake up and working
Initial testing down some big hills where I live was good but I need to replace the brake pads as they are quite old and starting to break up and also change the brake lever for something with a bit more leverage

The ammo tin is where I carry my beers

20130707_150942.jpg

texon said:
That disc is sic how did you mount it to the wheel . 8) 8)

It's mounted with 12 M3x8 button head bolts and nyloc nuts.
I had to grind a flat on the side of each bolt head so they could sit snugly on the inside of the rim, it went together pretty easy other than that.

THat bike is so sick, I love it. The original build was very cool, but the rebuild is awesome, I'd love to have that in my garage. It's a great build as well, since there's no bending involved, makes it a lot more approachable, one less piece of equipment to invest in to get setup :D

Where did you get that disk brake? I've avoided front brakes on my cruisers because I haven't liked the look, but that makes the look.

I love your eye for detail as well, that little cutout for a chain guide is a great touch, subtle, but just adds to the finesse of that build.

pS....I vote for keeping it au natural, the bare steel seems to suit the look perfectly.

I would love to build something like this myself and add my own personal touch, I went thru a class at a welding school so I can weld just not crazy stuff. Might try this later own... I want to run 26x100mm front and back and then a Nexus 8 with front/rear discs with all lines hidden inside the frame.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback guys.
The disc is custom made, I provided the measurements then they created a CAD drawing and cut it on a waterjet, you could also use a laser cutting place (which might be better as I had to de-burr some of the edges before installation).
I modified the frame slightly since the last pics, I dropped the lower frame section a bit so now it sits just over an inch of the ground, I had to make the chain tunnel larger due to the new chain position. I also added some steel to the edge of the pedals so when I drag them on the road they throw out some nice sparks.
Here are some recent pics

DSCF0677.jpg

DSCF0676.jpg

DSCF0675.jpg

DSCF0669.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

DSCF0678.jpg

I really want to build something like this for myself, because it looks so raw and awesome.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

I'm jealous of your access to the workshop, and talent with the tools. I'd love to explore some more frame concepts, but I'm somewhat restricted by having to farm out the actual work to someone else.....how cool is it that you have the option to keep reworking that build, changing it up till it perfectly suits you.
Nice work, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next :)

Latest posts

Back