Driftwood Cruiser #1

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nhlkidds - I'm still working out the final detials of my bike const. and pricing. I am guessing just the frame with hand pin stripe and a satin urethane finish will be somewhere in the ballpark of $1,800 - $2,000 with a lifetime warranty. (complete bikes for $2,500 - $3,000) Expensive? yeah. Hand built? absolutely. Lots of time in the frame to make it perfect. When I start to build them I may be able to do them for less. I'm so .... busy building cabinets and furniture right now it's hard to focus on the bikes. Let me know if you are interested - maybe we can work a deal. Thanks, DPB

I've got a new bike in the plans that will be more upright and run a gates carbon belt system - possibly a 29er?? I've heard really good things about the belt drive - anyone have an opinion, I'd love to hear it.

I like 29ers! I'm planning a cruiser 29er with mountain bike geometery. Sliding dropouts will be a must. I'm kind of new to belt drives but here are a few of my questions... will a belt drive limit the hubs available for use? Is your wooden frame going to move enough to separate the seat stay at the dropout to get the belt in? Cost benefit... is the extra price of components and the proprietary nature of a belt drive frame going to limit your sales? (can you use the same frame for a chain drive w/out modification?) Also how long can you get a belt? will the available lengths limit the hub to b.b. lenght that we love about cruiser geometery?

Did you take that bike to interbike in vegas last week?

PVWaco - all valid concerns. I will have to modify the frame to accept the belt - all other frames will not have the split. I plan to build a custom dropout that when removed would leave a small gap throught which the belt could be inserted. It will limit the hubs I can use and the belts do come in specified lengths. I will have to do a more traditional ( mountain bike, cruiser ) geometry that does not require a super long belt. I really like the look of the belt system and think the ride would be quiet and smooth. Check out the website for - Gates Carbon Belt System - they give you a list of hubs, cranks. etc. Peace.

WOW! great looking frame!! WHAT A WORK OF ART!! I cannot wait to see your next project!!

Checked out Gates webpage, I think a carbon belt like that would look perfect on a wooden bike! And with the long belt they offer meant for tandem bikes I think you could make a bike with a bit of stretch to it as well. Looking forward to pictures of your next bike! :)

Got to ride at my first Tour De Fat in Tempe yesterday - awesome time! Lots of cool bike, different people, music, sunshine, beer..... If you've never been, find the tour in one of 13 cities and go.

New frame is in the works - "Gravedigger", "Grondhog", "Earth Mover". ?? 2" longer that bike 1 and 1-2" of clearance. "I think you may have clearance issues", says the guy in bike shorts. "Oh really, I think you may be right - high five" says me.

dpbrown3000 said:
Thanks fellas. I'm in the process of making more frames - 2 of which will be African Mahogany. I'm hoping the Woody car guys will be interested. How sweet would that be - an old Woody beach car with a matching Driftwood Cruiser?

If they are not interested they are crazy. Also where I am from there are guys that spend ridiculous money on restoring/maintaining antique boats (wooden hot rods of the water). I'm sure they would pay stupid amounts of money to get a bike that matches their boat. Up here they would for sure.

Great work by the way. I am woodworker myself so I appreciate the time and work you put into this build. Amazing.

Happy Thanksgivng to all. Bikes 2 and 3 will be done this week - Bike 2 is quarter sawn African Mahongany - bike 3 is quilted Cherry - it has been a long process but I finally found ( made ) time to get the frames built. I will post pics once the bikes are striped and 100% built out. Hope all is well in Ratland.

Here are some new pics of the same bike. Check out the seperate post for pics of DwC #2 and 3.

_DSC0130.jpg

_DSC0147.jpg

_DSC0136.jpg

_DSC0128_2-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back