RRBBO13 Double Trouble Fire Road Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason why you can't start to learn. :)

No reason why you can't start to learn. :)
Other than buying all the necessary tools and safety equipment, having a dedicated space to store them and use them in, steel tubing and sheet metal for back stock, and convincing your wife that this is one more 'hobby' you need !

Okay, so the first 4 might be doable. That last one is the kicker! :bigsmile:

Other than buying all the necessary tools and safety equipment, having a dedicated space to store them and use them in, steel tubing and sheet metal for back stock, and convincing your wife that this is one more 'hobby' you need !

Okay, so the first 4 might be doable. That last one is the kicker! :bigsmile:

Not saying you can't learn with someone else's equipment or pool with your pals to get a welder and someone having a space to do it, that is what we did in the 90's in the early Choppercabras days. You can take a class at a occupational center or adult ed to see if you like it or not and go from there. In essence one can build bridges to things in life they want to do or build walls, that is up to you. :)

Not saying you can't learn with someone else's equipment or pool with your pals to get a welder and someone having a space to do it, that is what we did in the 90's in the early Choppercabras days. You can take a class at a occupational center or adult ed to see if you like it or not and go from there. In essence one can build bridges to things in life they want to do or build walls, that is up to you. :)

Your comment is rather condescending, and holds a fair amount of insinuation. I was merely stating the facts of what it takes to go the next step to being a person who welds and builds their own frames; not that I didn't have any interest or ability to do so.

If you knew me at all, you would know I am a 'bridge builder'; not a 'wall builder', to use your terminology.

Well, you took that wrong.

Small progress how life gets in the way of fun sometimes,

A brief pause to make some "art" for my lovely Lady (she loves owls)

IMG_0865 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Got the frame all welded up, made the little gusset piece:

IMG_0862 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

A bicycle frame, Yeah!

IMG_0863 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0864 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Got the head tube faces and pressed a headset in, going to use this fork for now and see if I like the ride.

IMG_0866 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Made a truss style front end ala Breezer no 1.

IMG_0867 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0868 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

Got the wheels laced up too.

IMG_0869 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

I'll need to mod the fork for the drum brake, going to shave the bosses off if I likethe ride otherwise a BMX fork will be in order, we'll see.

WOW!! There is so much sweet hotness going on with that frame and forks!
Great build!

WOW!! There is so much sweet hotness going on with that frame and forks!
Great build!

haha thanks man! :)

Got it all cabled up and rode it a few house lengths today. Two different brakes modulate way differently. Rides cool so far, may have to do some adjusting for dirt duty though. Had to swap the old school derailleur for a long throw SIS (Sometimes it Shifts), but hey those low end Shimano bits work! Bars and levers are ridiculous.

IMG_0883 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0882 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

IMG_0881 by Paul de Valera, on Flickr

First sojourn into the dirt. Brake cable in back came off in a steep but small descent :0 did a trailside improvement. Rear brake is a little funky it was missing a pad on the shoe so I scabbed some brake material off a band brake, we'll see if the JB weld will hold... Did a bout a dozen bb spindle swaps to get the right one and swapped out the front derailleur so far. Needs to be ridden more of an impression to build so far climbs so-so and descends really well. Still getting used to it of course, too early to pass judgement.

First sojourn into the dirt. Brake cable in back came off in a steep but small descent :0 did a trailside improvement. Rear brake is a little funky it was missing a pad on the shoe so I scabbed some brake material off a band brake, we'll see if the JB weld will hold... Did a bout a dozen bb spindle swaps to get the right one and swapped out the front derailleur so far. Needs to be ridden more of an impression to build so far climbs so-so and descends really well. Still getting used to it of course, too early to pass judgement.

Sounds like we need a ride vid!

Did you start the Coaster Brake Challenge Paul? Always thought that sounded like a blast skidding around in the dirt. +I remember seeing a really cool review of different coaster brakes that I thought was part of the challenge site?

Sounds like we need a ride vid!

Did you start the Coaster Brake Challenge Paul? Always thought that sounded like a blast skidding around in the dirt. +I remember seeing a really cool review of different coaster brakes that I thought was part of the challenge site?

How to do a video, that would be hard unless I trick one of my pals into filming me. :) I go up in the his around 6:30 am so no one likes me that much to wake up and follow me :)

CBC #20 is in a couple weeks. I have the event posted in the event section, and I just made a book called the Coaster Brake Challenge Guidebook you can go to me website for info on that, it has loads of tech info and exploded views etc. Some of that info is on the site for sure. Come shred with us!!

www.atomiccycles.com

cbc guidebook (2).JPG

Latest posts

Back