Double Barrel: Does it look like a Klunker yet..?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My spring break is here which means I'm busting out the welder and making use of a bunch o' junk. The only sutff I plan on buying are tires, tubes and a seat. And the seat is a maybe. I might have something that will work. I'm going to leave all the different colored paint when I finish, just gonna clearcoat it.

Double down tube? double straight bar? HD rims and spokes? Three center pulls? Motorcycle bars? Hmm....

I will start the welding this afternoon or sometime tomorrow.

So far three American lightweights and two mt bikes have given their lives up for this project, as well as an OCC Schwinn, two 20" BMX-ish bikes...

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

ivjmth.jpg

35mqkvb.jpg

2z7nckl.jpg

Peatbog said:
You could kill one more bike and make a wheelie bar for it.

And another bike to make a bash guard for it.

Peatbog said:
You could kill one more bike and make a wheelie bar for it.

I like it!! Except this thing would laugh at me if I tried to pop a wheelie. :wink: It's going to be a bit heavy...

Thanks Walker!! Those awesome brake levers you gave me found themselves a new home. Same with the bear claw pedals, just didn't put them in the photos.

Walker said:
Glad you are able to put those parts to good use.

Is this rig going to be ready for Monson? I need to start thinking about a ridable bike for that event. :?

Well, I'm on vacation all week so it should be!

Is there going to be a ride of some kind?

Walker said:
I hope so. If you're up for a ride I'm with ya.

Cool. More motivation to get this thing finished.

Found some thin seat stay tubing and decided I would also make a set of truss rods.

Dude, I totally laughed out loud at the first picture. Not AT ALL what I was expecting to see when I scrolled down. :D :D Love it!!

Well, got the fork done this AM. Guess I'm headed to New Hampshire for a few days here and probably won't get to work on this again until Saturday.

I'm not sure if it's the color of the fork or the shape of those dropouts, but this fork makes me think of a lobster! :wink: I'm happy with it though. A wheel sits nice and straight in there and I like the uniqueness of the new dropouts. The welds look a little gobby in the pics for some reason, but they actually came out pretty good.

The weld up where the legs meet the center tube is something Huffy should have done. They welded all the way around the legs where you could see it, but didn't finish it off underneath. :roll:

33xxavd.jpg

2ykmbsn.jpg

qzhc3r.jpg

33w5nkg.jpg

Also going to modify my handlebar. I want to cut the thin little brace out and replace it with a much larger tube. Might do that this AM, too.

otkbh0.jpg

34dk8e8.jpg

Everything tacked except the dropouts and handlebar cross bar. Need to do some more work in those areas.

20z4bvo.jpg

331zviq.jpg

2ikvnc.jpg

2qwpjev.jpg

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
You make some great frames! :shock: You gotta help me build one 8)

Any time dude!! I plan on bringing this one to Monson (if I can finish it in time...).

I still have the first HD klunker frame and fork. There were some things I didn't like about it and I ran out of motivation.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! I should have this thing all buttoned up this week.

I must say, the double tubes look cooler in person than in the photos. Really need a new/better camera.

PS, although the seat tube looks bent at the bottom, that's just an optical illusion. I checked it out today and it's fine.

Latest posts

Back