Does anyone know the year and model of this scrambler?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey RRB guys i picked up this scrambler and want to restore it back to its original self but theres many models is it a mag and what year? the code is
J0581398 and the headbadge reads 2929 could be 2829 thanks for your help
20415aca51a15b5c9e63717c5d06b58b.jpg
03ee233607e2e484d32fabda68781494.jpg

That serial starts with JQ--the letter O and I are skipped because they are easily mistaken for numbers. The letters JQ break out to September 1979, which fits because the badge marking is the Julian date plus the year--2829=Sept 9, 1979 or 2929=Sept 19, 1979.

That serial starts with JQ--the letter O and I are skipped because they are easily mistaken for numbers. The letters JQ break out to September 1979, which fits because the badge marking is the Julian date plus the year--2829=Sept 9, 1979 or 2929=Sept 19, 1979.

Well thanks that narrows it down, about the model is it a mag 500 mag 1000?

I'm going to call this an SX-1000 based solely on the fact that it has a rim brake and I think the others were coasters. Most of the items that would differentiate the models are otherwise absent from this frame.

I'm going to call this an SX-1000 based solely on the fact that it has a rim brake and I think the others were coasters. Most of the items that would differentiate the models are otherwise absent from this frame.

Thank you i thought the same about the brake i thought about calling it a sx1000 as well but thought id ask first

Wht size is the seatpost? SX1000 had the same seat-tube that they ended up using in the Sting, and took a 26.8mm seatpost. The others were regular 13/16" posts. I have a Scrambler in my basement that takes a caliper rim brake...i'm pretty sure it was originally a 36/36. FWIW, even '79 36/6 frames took a rim brake...

Looking at your bike, it's in the silver color paint, which was available on the SX100, SX500, and SX1000-- but NOT the 36/36. Your forks are the style used on the SX100 and SX500, not the hotter jawns from the SX1000.... but, a lot of parts can be swapped over 38 years, so I'd see what the seatpost is.... the SX1000 had full chromoly frame, and used different tubing. That's going to be your most reliable identifying characteristic.... and, being that the wheels and most of the other components are gone anyway, it's the only one that really matters.

The bike from the youtube vid is a Phantom Scrambler; notice the different seatstays? They sold frames like that under various labels in previous years, but in '79 the curved-stay Scramblers were sold as Phantom Scramblers (with a "phantom" decal on the chainguard) and they came with either wire spoke wheels or the cheap mags. The ones with Mags had "Mag Scrambler" decals on the top tube. But, most of the stuff on that youtube video isn't original, and more importantly, that ain't the same model as your bike. The curved stays and the flat forged forks are dead give-aways.

IF your frame is red, and IF that's the original fork, than what you have there is an SX100. The SX500 wasn't offered in red, and the SX1000 had a different fork. If you're doubting it and holding out hope that it's a sx1000, you'll want to figure out if it takes a 13/16" seatpost, or a 26.8mm. It will be easy to tell, b/c 28.6 is noticeably bigger than 13/16", and 13/16" is the standard Chicago Schwinn post. The frame isn't going to take a different size. If i was in your position, I'd try to put a post from another Chicago Schwinn. if it fits, then you got an sx100 and you'll want to build it like this (lower bike):

1979_schwinn_scrambler.jpg

More inspiration here:
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/schwinn/?model=4187

HTH
-Rob

Looks like that bike was originally red and got sun baked to the silver base coat. My guess is it's a 36/36 if the brake is original. Not sure if the chrome moly SX1000 would have had the kickstand either.

Latest posts

Back