does anyone else feel heartbroken when you sell a bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
just a random thought i got a relatively good offer on my Schwinn heavy duti and am considering selling it however,my heart feels like i just lost a loved one at the thought o selling it anyone else have this problem or am i just being a big baby lol would also like to add the biek has not been sold yet so it may not be sold either just a random thought

just a random thought i got a relatively good offer on my Schwinn heavy duti and am considering selling it however,my heart feels like i just lost a loved one at the thought o selling it anyone else have this problem or am i just being a big baby lol would also like to add the biek has not been sold yet so it may not be sold either just a random thought
I tend to get attached as well.. part of it is from growing up poor I think.. making the best of what you have with what you have to do it with.
Bicycles were my first taste of freedom and being able to get out into the world.

Sometimes a old bike reminds me of a rescue dog from the animal shelter. They look rough and dirty at first glance, and maybe better off being put down, but a little encouragement, some tenderness, a bath and a good meal and you often find a gem that will treat you well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I am like opposite :) I am very happy to bring a joy of a great bike to a new person and also to find a new owner who would love, enjoy and appreciate the bike. And the place is never empty, one bike goes another comes, like a cycle of cycles :)

I am like opposite :) I am very happy to bring a joy of a great bike to a new person and also to find a new owner who would love, enjoy and appreciate the bike. And the place is never empty, one bike goes another comes, like a cycle of cycles :)

I would be more inclined to give a bike to someone who couldn't afford it, but clearly loved it than I would sell one to a guy with money who tried to talk me down.
And I never regret getting rid of something if it made the new owner happy.
JimK

I'm sort of an artist, so old projects must sometimes make way for new ones and I'm a bit like Enzo Ferrari (though not quite as unsentimental) in that, when asked which Ferrari was his favorite, he replied, "The next one." At first completion, I can't imagine parting with something, but it will eventually be surpassed by enthusiasm for a new idea and it makes me happy if I can give it to someone who sees it with a fresh enthusiasm for it like I once had. I also like that stuff I create can be appreciated by others and that small part of me is out in the world and may outlast this mortal body (I will never have kids, so this is my proxy). I make things because I have to, not to make money, so while I wouldn't object to someone who loved it paying for it, I'd rather it go for free to someone who couldn't afford it and would love it. After all, the thing about our creations is that they are ours and cannot be bought. It's kind of a cheap luxury, things like custom bikes—they stand out like the uppity stuff (or more so), but there's only one and I think there's something much cooler and more interesting in that than something anyone can buy with enough presidential portraits. As for someone having it who didn't create it, my hope is that they could be inspired or they could at least have something that makes them feel special—having something no one else has. Having grown up without a lot of money (but not quite poor), I have an understanding of the psychological importance of such things. When I was in high school, I drove this thing:
225160_6056953190_5414_n.jpg

You can't see the more interesting stuff, like the crosshairs on the hood and such, but I would literally be in traffic with exotics and nice muscle cars and they would be completely ignored for this $500 clunker with $50 in paint and stickers and such. I had gangsters in Detroit give me the lip of approval and girls (most really attractive!) approach me while my friends in said muscle cars got nowhere (but they could get there much faster!). And it was dirt cheap to own and worry free.

Having to recently junk Duchess (a different Subaru wagon) without time to find someone to take it for free (and with so many valuable parts, including a closed-deck EJ22 turbo engine) is the only time in a long time that I have been heartbroken over a machine. I thought I'd maybe have that car until I died (maybe even died IN it), but nature wanted to return it to the earth (rusted even while being in the garage). My other cars were just cars and I felt nothing moving on. We'll see if I get a bit down when it's time for the Focus ST to go.

I wish I had the room and money to keep them all, but I usually end up selling something to raise money for something else. I honestly love taking them apart, cleaning them up and riding them a while, but tend to move onto something else pretty quickly. I'll normally look for another project as soon as I'm done with one. I like having a project to work on, research and learn about as I go.

Before I got into old bikes, I use to fix up modern junk discarded on the river bank and give them to the local homeless shelters.

I wouldn't do that with something I built because I see how they get treated.
I'm not opposed to giving them away, but as mentioned before it would have to be to someone who appreciated it.

I don't get heartbroken selling things when there's interest, but most people aren't interested in my builds. I'd honestly like to sell all but three of my bikes, but don't have the patience to have them up for sale for months waiting for a decent offer.

I guess the only way I'd be heartbroken over losing a bike is if it was stolen or my garage burned down.
Aside from that, they're all just things. Things I don't NEED, just things I wanted.

well as much as i did not want to do it i did sell ym schwinn heavy duti the guy that bought it has a smaller version his grandson rides and he wants to do a father/son dual type of thing so it found where it belongs sometimes that is the game finding the bikes true calling and this was too perfect to say no to not to mention i made a pretty nice profit form it but again that is not as important as seeing where it is going t will be enjoyed

The only one so far has been a basic Electra cruiser that I sold to my friend. I bought it at a police auction, put som cst fat Frank knock offs, leather Cardiff grips, and a super cushy quilted Springer saddle. I could ride that bike all day. Super smooth and it rolled forever.

Latest posts

Back