Dirty Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JD here, riding bicycles on the regular since I was four. I have too many AKAs to list. Some know me. Some love me. Some hate me. Some don't care one way or the other. It's all good.

I'm mostly a dirty rat, preferring singletrack trails to pavement. My current primary dirt ride is the Blast .../... Blast, based on a Joe Murray designed frame that's adorned with mostly vintage parts. Dirty, Ratty and fast:
... Blast.jpg

I became addicted to riding fixed gear bikes around 2007, due to a few factors that included residing in the center of an asphalt jungle from 2005-2011. They are easy, cheap, fast and low maintenance like my current daily driver:
germo22.jpg

Ratty Gravel? Sometimes:
highchicken.jpg

Date Night? Covered:
taproomsteed.jpg

Checking out the view? I can see for miles and miles:
legs.jpg

I've even had a few bikes over the years that were neither ratty, nor cheap. Either way, they all go fast if I want them to go fast.

I'm in to the Blast and the Ratty Gravel. Good to see another trail rider and speed freak on here!
Thanks!

The Azz Blaster is stupid fast on "flow" trails. I normally detest technology and bicycles together, however some rude people who were begging to be taught a lesson prompted me to use strawva for a few weeks in a particular place. It was a couple of years ago and I recently peeped the details of what transpired. My top listed speed was over 42mph and their egos were dealt a proper blow. Meh to them, their technology and stupidly expensive bikes that do not make up for their lack of skill and soul.

Eileen.jpg

The gravel bike enjoys Old Fall River Road to Trail Ridge Road loop in Rocky Mountain National Park. Coming back down Trail Ridge is ridiculously fast. I take it on singletracks once in a while as well.

chickenranch.jpg

Last edited:
Lol I'm still riding a hardtail cromo 26 with canti brakes and a speedometer wired to the front tire. Been my main ride for over 25 years. Used to love the looks I'd get when I'd chase down the full squish guys, back when I rode the lifts. Thinking about upgrading to something with vee brakes, or maybe even a disk brake!

The parallel push Shimano brakes, coupled with Avid Speed Dial levers are about the best one can do in rim brakes, save Magura hydraulic, Avid Arch Rival or Avid Arch Supreme. The Azz Blast and another rigid bike I have are rocking XT parallel push and Speed Dial levers. One of my MTBs has Ultimate Levers and Arch Supremes. Modulation Matters

Your Azz Blast looks like a Barracuda frame. Joe Murray approved, that's cool. I like his early pro race mt bikes by the 'Godfather' himself....
Gary Fisher.

Your Azz Blast looks like a Barracuda frame. Joe Murray approved, that's cool.
He's still designing VooDoo and quite possibly Sendero, but I'm not 100% sure because I have not crossed paths with him since 2009 or so. The Azz Blast frame is a 2002 Kona Blast, great geo and that stiff aluminum frame handles 200lbs well in the turns at speed. Point and Shoot

Matti has lots of love for Kona
They went through a change in the early 2000's that I did not care for, but seem to be back on track nowdays. I've always liked the P2 forks, but never trusted them being a Clydesdale. I have a like-sized NOS 2001 Fire Mountain frame waiting for me to break the Azz Blast, but nary a creak yet. I have a tendency to break frames and parts from time to time.
HUB.jpg

I don't know what the cutoff for "Clyde" status, but I must be below it... :rolleyes: right? I don't even know how you did that to that hub! I've been searching for the right Kona to come along, missed out on a Kula a few weeks ago, but the seller flaked out and disappeared. My problem is that I don't want to "settle" for anything less than top of the line. If I got a FMountain, it would be an awesome bike, more than I need, and then someone would roll by on a CinderCone. My fussiness is screwing me over, and I've been without a working mountain bike for months because of it!

Clydesdale = 200lbs+ It used to be a racing class, though I'm not sure if it is anymore I raced in that class once in the dirt at the 1997 Iron Horse in Durango, CO.

What size MTB frame fits for you? I always measure in CM, Center to Center.
Yeah, Clydesdale is still out there. I was pretending not to know. I'm on the cusp. Somedays in, somedays out. I'm the same for bike sizes, I'm in between medium and large. Embarrassed Canadian doesn't know his size in metric because manufacturers list in American, but it's around 18.5 - 20".
(Consults measuring tape)
47-51 cm range

Embarrassed Canadian doesn't know his size in metric because manufacturers list in American, but it's around 18.5 - 20".
(Consults measuring tape)
47-51 cm range

The Azz Blast runs small for my height (6'-7") but for what I'm riding with it, the fit works. Short of going custom, it's about the best I can usually hope for. The ST (C to C) is 48cm and TT (C to C) is 58cm. I have to run a 100mm stem for the cockpit to be right on that geo. Even so, the compact frame design makes up for it, as did the original/primary parts donor frame, a 1999 Team Marin (that I broke twice, JRA).

Last year was a trip, to say the least. It seemed that every time I turned a corner, something else (or several things) were waiting to jam me up. Blue Dream was finished, though it probably needs a few more shakedown rides to be truly done. Several other bikes were built up and went out. Ride time in the dirt was more plentiful than in recent years and included a quite a few trails I had yet to ride in CO and out of state as well. Also helped a couple of trailbuilding efforts in CO and elsewhere. Still playing catch-up on a few longtime lurking builds/restorations and making decent headway.

The Grand Valley's best pizza, still sporting bike art that was made by a friend from a 1920's Schwinn World.
20201009_184048.jpg

JD here, riding bicycles on the regular since I was four. I have too many AKAs to list. Some know me. Some love me. Some hate me. Some don't care one way or the other. It's all good.
@GuitarlCarl

The first lines of my intro post, it's all good and has been since day one here.

I just wanna ride bicycles and have fun.

Latest posts

Back