Diamond Frame Flying Merkel DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/25 little things and a tooter

SWEET :mrgreen: I'll be looking for your bars :wink:

NO BARS :!: Smaller show than usual :roll: Sorry :(

Mark- Yeah I forgot about those! I'll have to find some time to swing by you and drop off the fork as well. I can't remember the exact shape of those bars, but I may have changed my mind on the shape I wanted since seeing them a month ago or so. In any case, I owe ya a fork.

Yeah, classes are back at it this week sadly. I'm also kind of in a limbo at this point. I'm waiting for my seat to be done at the upholsterer. I'm also waiting to recieve my groovy new stem from deorman, so I can mount the non-existant (currently) handlebars on it, then finalize the control layout, secure the lines, apply the grips, attach the tank, that killed the cat, that ate the rat, that... well, you get the picture :roll: :wink:

Once I get these few things back in my posession it's going to finish up pretty quickly. The bicycle sits patiently (I wish I did) in my basement waiting, waiting. Ah, but waiting is the hardest part!

**I gotta also give a major thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this build, either with parts, ideas, feedback, comments, everything. I really appreciate it, and when it comes to work like this, I feel sometimes it really 'takes a village.' Thank you all for being such a great village! :mrgreen: I've gotten to talk to so many members here through this project, and it's been a blast to get to know some folks here better.

I never imagined this would be as well recieved as it has been, I'm blown away and humbled by the over 4000 views!

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/30 Waiting is the hardest part

Well, what with spring madness at work I just got your stem in the mail, so it's coming "priority", for whatever that's worth.

deorman said:
Well, what with spring madness at work I just got your stem in the mail, so it's coming "priority", for whatever that's worth.

Thanks a million! No worries, I'm just glad to know I havn't missed it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TA-DA! The postman dropped this off today...it was packaged very well when he did though :wink:

This thing is so cool! It's solid steel, super heavy and robust. Plus I love the look and how it will position the bars. Super awesome stem, thanks again deorman!!! It's head and shoulders above the other stem I had!

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/2 Spring; ah stem-ing begins!

can you tell me where you got your tires from? your bike has come a long way from the blue brit, nice job!

Deorman- I have indeed seen these other two, thank you for posting the link here! Boardtrackfan's was a huge inspiration for me to make a replica as well, and I stumbled across johndutch64's a few weeks ago. These two (and mine when it's complete :wink: ) are the only three bicycle tributes I've seen done for the Merkel. I saw someone else's (sorry, I don't remember who!) orange frame, white tire bicycle posted somewhere not very long ago as well, it's a great colour combo! :mrgreen:

dash said:
can you tell me where you got your tires from? your bike has come a long way from the blue brit, nice job!

Thanks dash, looking at the old pictures of it as a blue machine I sometimes have to double take that it's the same bike!

On page two of this thread I have the ebay auction link to where I found them. I think it should still work as they were from a seller's 'store' and there were multiple available. I just searched on ebay for 'white 26 1 3/8' honestly. Hope this helps! I think this same store had other colours too, like bright red and blue. Seller was also really great, shipped quickly, and even threw a few 'kenda' stickers in the box too.

Had to run to Sheb this afternoon, and took a few minutes to drop in the new stem. What a difference a stem makes!

IMG_2370-1.jpg

IMG_2372-1.jpg

IMG_2374-1.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

And a pic taken from my van on the return trip

IMG_2385.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/4 The difference a stem makes

Thanks Skipton! I'm hoping the seat will be set soon, the guy said it would take 7-10 days (as of thurs 3/24) so I'm hoping I'll hear from him any day now.

I've also been contemplating handlebars more and more. I have had no luck so far, and I wil llikely be using the set that's there currently until I can get something better. However last night I was browsing around on ebay and had a brain wave, and I've got a 'dastardly secret plan' for how I might make some...BWAHAHAHA! *cough* excuse me

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/4 The difference a stem makes

Well it's been a while, I've been wicked busy with college and graduation stuff/things for next year.

I talked to my upholster-er this afternoon. His had first told me the seat would be done in 7-10 days (that was on March 24...). I'm glad I called, becasue he apparently 'hasn't gotten to it yet'. He assures me he will be done with it tomorrow or saturday, I'm really hoping that's true. The weather is turning fairly nice here, and I've been riding my mountain bike to campus the past few days (not an enjoyable bike to ride!)

Hang with me, I'm hoping to button this up soon!!

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/13 Waitin again...

I got a call from my upholstery place that the seat was finally ready. My father picked it up for me last night, and sent me these pics. Just from these pics alone, I'm impressed. The upholstery guy wasn't quite sure what to do with this, and all he had to go off of was a couple of pics of old boardtracker seats I had printed for him with the 'wings'. This was also complicated for him becasue this seat had no seat pan, so he wasn't sure how he was going to attach things. I had him line it with 1/2 inch of upholstery foam for comfort, and I chose a slightly lighter colour leather as it will likely darken in some time, and I didnt want it to look like a cowpie. I think it's going to look stellar on the machine!

I'll be heading back to Sheboygan this evening, and hope to get the seat all put back together. Stay tuned, we're getting really close boys and girls!

IMG_2445Large.jpg

IMG_2446Large.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/21 Back from upholstery!

Here's a few shots of the seat assembled and slid onto the bike

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

And after a trip to my LBS this morning, I have a different set of grips and this machine is a rider! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Full photo spread coming soon to a thread near you!!! 8) Here's a risque centerfold to get your attention :shock: :wink:

IMG_2442.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 4/22 Almost there & a centerfold

C'mon, let's see the whole thing :shock: Am I the only one who thinks your rear wheel is crooked :?

Latest posts

Back