Diamond Frame Flying Merkel DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/7 Front end teaser

Strings_and_steam said:
Found objects- That looks like a really cool product! Have you posted this info in the 'bike talk' or 'bike how to' boards? I bet a lot of guys on here would be interested in that!
No...I've mentioned it before a few times...maybe I'll post something though. The hardnose paint looks pretty cool too.

Gee, not many things would look bad in the Flying Merkel Spence, she´s a real cooker you know.
My Phillips will get fully restored now thanks to you and the new badge, that as soon as I get peaceful again after tying the knot :wink:

Yikes! Almost fell off of page 1 :roll: I guess I better get movin on this!

I've been working on things slowly. I nearly had the rear wheel all painted, but on the final coat of colour I forgot to wipe the rims down before painting, and BAM a few places bubbled. I sanded them out, re-primed the areas, and will be workign on getting them buttoned up soon.

I clear coated the saddle carraige and have been looking for a cheap brown leather something at local thrift stores to cover the seat. No luck so far, but I've only looked twice in the past week.

I dug out a new stem for the bicycle, I'll need to clean it up a bit but I found the old 'English' stem won't fit the new forks. Not a big deal, just some cleaning now.

I ordered some new brake pads as well, orange ones! I know eventually my rims will be scuffed by the brake pads and paint will slowly wear down where they contact, but I figured orange pads would at least not leave black scuffs (does coloured rubber/pads like that 'scuff' its own colour? :?: ) It might seem also that being picky about my rim paint wouldn't make sense since some of it will certainly rub off, but I want the wear to be even looking; this bike will clip and age, but I'd like it to be somewhat uniform :wink:

Here's a stock pic of the pads, just because I'm into pics 8)
S-PART-FG-CC-BRAKEPAD-RADIUS-ORANGE-2.jpg

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/14 just some little stuff

Gotta make my plug for vinegar as a rust-remover! I soaked my stem and hardware in a shallow bucket of white vinegar (a Food Club 2011, good vintage :wink: ) for about 12 hours, and then scrubbed gently with a toothbrush. WOW it worked well! The through-bolt was completely rusted as was the wedge, and the chrome was peppered with spots. Here it is now:

IMG_2137.jpg

I also sprayed the final (I hope) coat on my rear wheel. There was no more crazing! I'll hopefully be getting that un-wrapped in the next few days and getting the tire installed. Gettin there slow and steady. Next week will be my spring break from college, and I'm hoping to get most of the rest of the work done on this project. Today it is 48 in Miltown, and I'm itching to bike again!

Wow :shock: :shock: :shock: Holly salad stuff!!!
That chrome looks good!! :wink:

So I thought I'd take a quick break from writing a musicological midterm paper and show you...

...TA DA....

The completed wheel set
IMG_2139.jpg

And an 'artsy fartsy' shot for your desktop background :wink:
IMG_2141.jpg

That is all. Carry on. :p

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/17 A wheel-y lame update

I had some time to work on the frame yesterday. I sanded it down some to even things out. I will admit I felt a little guilty about sanding off the slightly raised 'Phillips' decals, as they were in geat shape. But the show must go on.

I gave up my battle with the cottered cranks. Even the guy at my LBS with the special tool couldn't pop them free. I didn;t want to ruin my cranks and have to get a brand new set, so I just mummified them in maskign tape and plastic bags. Simple, effective, and becuase of the spaces in the sprocket, I can still spray through to the frame. Viola!

IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Today I layed down a few coats of orange on the frame, and it's drying. Tomorrow I'll probably start putting it all back together. I'll post pics of the orange-ness tomorrow :D

A big thank you to all who have been following this and leaving comments, I really enjoy reading them and am glad this build generated some interest. Without you, I'd just be talkin to myself :mrgreen:

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/20 Mummification and Priming

This is coming out great :shock: When you first posted this I thought it couldn't be done with this frame :? YOU PROVED ME WRONG :shock: Outstanding work and craftsmanship for sure :wink: Lets keep it coming :mrgreen:

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/20 Mummification and Priming

Well Sir Skipton, orange it be indeed!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The painting of the frame has been a long time coming, but here it is!

The frame after paint yesterday
IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

A 'boarding trident' for dirty play in the race? Naw, these are the pegs to hold the two halves of the tank together on the frame, they needed to be orange too. I devised this painting stand from an old flag post, some cardboard and ductape. A Red Green special!
IMG_2264.jpg

Also got one side of the tank assembled (glued the plate to the board). Here is sits in my sophisticated 'shotgun press'.
IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

And today getting it unwrapped with the cups installed
IMG_2267.jpg

IMG_2269.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg

I re-packed the bearings for the headset and got it in place. Notice theres extra space? I cut some orange painted conduit to form some risers to fill the opening. I might go back later and hack off the top of the fork so one spacer isn't necessary (it needed one above and below the ring for the truss rods) but I didn't want to risk destroying the threads (bad past expierences...)
IMG_2273.jpg

IMG_2274.jpg

Here she sits now, I had to drop the rear wheel in for effect and wire on the fender.
IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

Whatcha think? :mrgreen: Once my handlebars show up (come on, fedex!) I can get the controls mounted, chain and derailuer set up, and finally fasten the tank in place. The tank must be last as it covers and hides my control cabels, so they need to be all sorted first. I'll also be doign some scavenging for materials to finish up my seat.

Re: Diamond Frame Flying Merkel 3/21 HUGE UPDATE AND ASSEMBLY!!

I think it is AWESOME :shock: :shock: The paint looks very similar to the original :wink: Can't wait to see the tank installed :mrgreen:

Hey strings, we should have gone halvsies on the paint...we could have saved a fortune...loving your work dude, hope you're having fun...you know it'll look good!!!

deorman said:
I recommend replacing this POJ with something more fitting and worthy of your efforts. :|

Got one? :wink: I've pretty much blown my budget on this build, I'm not super thrilled with it and Id get something better if funds allowed. At least it will work. The 'nicer' stem that came on the bicycle origonally doesn't fit the stear tube on the new forks (it's too wide for the stem)

Deorman, PM sent!!! :D

Picked up a new chain and got the transmission sorted out. The cable will be mostly hidden by the tanks, streamlining the profile. I bolted on a kickstand just for 'kicks', I think it's going to need one as I dont want it leaning against other bikes and such on the racks. We'll see if it stays.

IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

I cleaned up the derailuer before I re-installed it. The guide wheels were so caked with crud I thought they were black. Turns out they're actually red :roll:
IMG_2285.jpg

My other steeds eye-up the new comer, and wonder what happened to that blue diamond frame chap with the funny accent...
IMG_2288.jpg

Latest posts

Back