"DEVIANT" link to finished build on page one :-)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "DEVIANT" A step thru goes a step beyond...

I asked a millwright friend for some steel to make my dropouts. He gave me some plate steel that they use for shims. Check it out! The slots are already cut out!

ad62598b-4b19-4baa.jpg

Since I don't have much room forward of the slots, would it be legal for me to trim the existing dropouts so I can get good placement of the new ones?

ad62598b-4cd6-8d15.jpg

Re: "DEVIANT" (Rear dropout question...????)

In my personal opinion, trimming the existing drop out should be fine. I will be trimming excess metal off of mine on my build. You are not changing the geometry of the frame by doing that, so as far as I'm concerned, go for it! 8)

Just do it :wink:

Re: "DEVIANT" (FISHFLY UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!)

I agree with everyone else. Go for it.
No worries!

Re: "DEVIANT" (FISHFLY UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!)

yoothgeye said:
Ewww... I'd much rather have a fish fry.
:lol: +1
man this flip is making want to try it i have the perfect frame for it too.. jb weld self taping screws i have all that in my McGyver fan club tool box.. KEEP IT UP THIS IS SWEET!!!

Thank you for all of the great comments everyone! I figured that trimming the drops would be cool, but I wanted a consensus... I don't like bending (or widening) the rules :wink:
I really like the way the tank looks, but I'm stumped as to how I'm going to mount it. I need to stare at it a couple more hours. :shock:
I got the light mounted, and I left the old mounting tab on the bottom of it. I didn't want to remove it yet because I might want to add something there.
IMAG1836.jpg

IMAG1838.jpg

SWEET IDEA!! I'M WATCHING YOU!! SLIDE TO MY THREAD AND CAST YA VOTE! PEACE

Lugisland said:

I love this photo. Can't wait to see an updated full frame shot.

kingfish254 said:
I'm gonna hold out a while on the "big picture" :)

I spent a little time today on the rear dropout design.
Most of the time I spend on builds is just sitting there looking at the bike for ideas. :shock: :?
Finally I said out loud to myself "This ain't Rocket science folks" and got to tracing.
IMAG1845.jpg

I'm trying to keep everything flowing together so I angled the slot upward to the rear to continue the curve of the (new) chainstay.
Not only will it give it a longer wheelbase, but the farther back you move the wheel the lower the bike gets...
IMAG1849.jpg

I need to add a mounting point for the rear truss rods, and maybe a fender mount.
Now that I think about it, maybe I can use the truss rods to hold the fender... hmmm?
Here is the sorta blank canvas for the drops.
IMAG1851.jpg

Lugisland said:
kingfish254 said:

I figured you might. I like keeping the competition in clear sight for motivation. That's why I bumped your photo up. 8)

kingfish254 said:
Lugisland said:
kingfish254 said:

I figured you might. I like keeping the competition in clear sight for motivation. That's why I bumped your photo up. 8)

Your tactics are subtle, but I appreciate the fact that you consider me competition. :p
The flexliner 7 build gives me much inspiration/motivation. :idea:

Re: "DEVIANT" This aint rocket science...

I did some work on the tank today. I've probably got about two hours into it (1 1/2 hours staring at it, and 1/2 hour putting it together).
I used some flat aluminum stock I had in the garage, formed it to fit along the gap in the top and popped some rivets to hold it together.
I love pop rivets because you don't need to tap threads, and you can always drill off the head if you need to take something apart.
The aluminum can be polished up to match the chrome. Here are some pics...
IMAG1856.jpg

IMAG1860.jpg

IMAG1864.jpg

IMAG1866.jpg

IMAG1871.jpg

IMAG1868.jpg

Re: "DEVIANT" We have a tank!!!!!!

Man that top tank is almost (not quite, but almost) as cool as the headlight, wait that aint a headlight, guess you would call that a foot light!!!

Re: "DEVIANT" We have a tank!!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Man that top tank is almost (not quite, but almost) as cool as the headlight, wait that aint a headlight, guess you would call that a foot light!!!
bighit said:
That lower light is crazy.
Thanks guys!

I got the tires mounted last night. Here is a shot of the clear coated rims with cleaned up gummies...
IMAG1874.jpg

Re: "DEVIANT" Gummies mounted up!

That is going to be a cool contrast with the shiny chrome!!

Latest posts

Back