Desert Rat - ified Columbia...Back in the BACK40 Again! video pg3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been awhile....
Big classic car and bicycle show this Sunday in Phoenix. Got me motivated to get some rat-isfaction from Desert Rat before I enter it in the show on Sunday.

@franconuevo mentioned my use of 100% acrylic on seats foe that distressed look. Why not tires? I was not happy with the 'new tire and logo look' so I dug in this morning.

Used a Plaid red-brown and stirred in some Satin Camel with my finger. Applied with 3M scubbie.
20170224_112329.jpg

20170224_112409.jpg

20170224_112447.jpg

Now trying to decide on chain guard or not. Have to stick the tail end behind the stays, tight crank clearance. It will work as shown. Your votes: 1. No guard or 2. Yes guard.
20170224_112736.jpg

20170224_112842.jpg

It's been awhile....
Big classic car and bicycle show this Sunday in Phoenix. Got me motivated to get some rat-isfaction from Desert Rat before I enter it in the show on Sunday.

@franconuevo mentioned my use of 100% acrylic on seats foe that distressed look. Why not tires? I was not happy with the 'new tire and logo look' so I dug in this morning.

Used a Plaid red-brown and stirred in some Satin Camel with my finger. Applied with 3M scubbie.
View attachment 46505
View attachment 46506
View attachment 46507

Now trying to decide on chain guard or not. Have to stick the tail end behind the stays, tight crank clearance. It will work as shown. Your votes: 1. No guard or 2. Yes guard.
View attachment 46508
View attachment 46509

Man, that's a beauty O.J. what a strong looking ride...
It doesn't really 'need' the guard..the way I'm looking at it.
So I'd ride it re: guardless

:thumbsup:

2. Most the time I'm not really a fan of guards, they're just another thing to rattle around and so much design and artistry went into those old chainrings. It just seems a shame to cover them up.

Ran out of time yesterday to get the guard on. Getting busy at the bike shop I've been filling in at, so built 5 bikes and helped sell 9 more in 4 hours yesterday instead of working on Desert Rat.

The show was very cool. Met @Jarod24 in person, and we hung with some of his crew from AZ Coasters Club. Good group. My kind of crowd.

"I'm back in the BACK40 again..." Spring opener in the bike shop....c'mon in....

Dig the guard on your new project, can't wait to see what you do with it.
I'm vacillating about trying to do a clean up on this bike or not. Most of the rust I believe is surface type that I could be able to remove and then go for a natural patina (if there is any left) on the finish. The fenders are actually aluminum, which is the first I've found on old bikes? And the guy I bought it from was in his mid-50's and it was his dad's bike, so I doubt they had been up graded. It will be a learning experience for sure!

Aluminum fenders on old bikes aren't common, but aren't uber rare. But they are sought after by some.
Try to keep them in good shape.

Latest posts

Back