der Rod Baron +++KOMPLETZEI+++

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Silverback - The new-age Monark tribute 5/4: Parts hunt

sweet build i love natural aluminum bikes. but gotta call you one one thing. those really arn't braze ons with an aluminum frame that is a steel frame thing where they area brazed on with brass. its all good in the hood i gotta try to slow you guys down a little after all 8)

I knew I'd get my doors blown off this year---Gowjobs great start!

karfer67 said:
sweet build i love natural aluminum bikes. but gotta call you one one thing. those really arn't braze ons with an aluminum frame that is a steel frame thing where they area brazed on with brass. its all good in the hood i gotta try to slow you guys down a little after all 8)

Yeah - "fittings", "weldments", whatever you call them, they're GONE NOW!

So I have this cool seat post clamp, but look at all this room between the relief arc in the bottom of it, and the top tube weld!
postclamp4.jpg

So I marked it with tape, and hauled out my ol' beat-up chop saw:
postclamp3.jpg

With a little filing to clean up the edges, I have a much more custom fit:
postclamp2.jpg

postclamp1.jpg

It's the DETAILS that count!

Re: Al Ti-'Tude (NAME CHANGE:5/6/11)

I put the jet age influence I intend for this build together with it's aluminum and titanium bits, and came up with the new name:
Al Ti-'Tude

Nothing new to show, but I may have some developments over the weekend.

Great looking build!Love it

I had a similar style in mind for my bare aluminium cruiser - early DH forks and red brick tyres. This had confirmed it would look great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No new pics... I spent all my spare time during the weekend sanding/buffing on that frame. I'm trying to minimize the scratches and get the remaining clear off the aluminum so I can try to polish it. Funny thing: I was originally planning to paint it black, but assumed there would be so many black bikes entered that I needed to do something different. Now I'm leaning back toward a black or gunmetal paint job with bare aluminum scallops/accents since patina and color seem to be more prevalent this year.

gowjobs said:
...l paint job with bare aluminum scallops/accents...

That'll be cool AND different. Maybe you should try out the 'candy' duplicolors paints... That'll give your frame a color 'anodized'(?) look on brushed metal or candy apple on polished metal. But I still like the full-on aluminum look on the bike...
8)

Bought a euro BB from eBay, but when I tried to test-fit, I found out that though my crankset was billed as having a 19mm spindle, it's actually 20mm where the bearings ride. Gonna buy a new, 8-spline 19mm piece, because I have a plan for a whole different project that requires cranks with a 20mm spindle/bearings.

Re: Al Ti-'Tude-BB Complications 5/17

Well, I decided to do a crank swap, at least temporarily, to get this fine machine in a rideable state for the long weekend. First issue I ran into was that this thing was never meant for a single-speed application. A quick trip to a fixie gear calculator showed that 44T-20T should be a perfect fit for my non-adjustable 16.9" chainstay. Installing the crank, I found interference between the chainwheel (mounted permanently to the cheapie crank arm) and the chainstay. First fix, stacking two coaster brake sprockets between the threaded bottom bracket and the crank hanger to space it out a bit:
solution1.jpg

But alas, that wasn't quite enough:
Problem1.jpg

To fix it, I was obviously going to have to apply some gentle persuasion to the chainstay with a 7 lb. maul and an old seatpost for clearance. While I have the wheel off, I'll add a couple of washers to try to center the rear wheel without re-dishing it.
problem2.jpg

Re-installing the wheel, I decided I should add a coaster strap. I had 12 links left after I shortened my chain, so...
solution2.jpg

NOW I can go ride!
rider2.jpg

rider1.jpg

Re: Al Ti-'Tude-PROBLEMS AND SOLUTIONS 5/29

Oo that red is killer. Ya right black is popular. But maybe the black is the primer to throw us off of what the final color will be. Huh?!? That's what I'm gonna do. Lol. Get ta buildin' !!! Peace

ill be honest i was prepared to not like this bike, i usually lean away from the modern look and i really just dont get the colored tire trend, but this thing is really shaping up. oldschool look with modern componets, i can dig it.

question- noticed you left the top tube brazeons, and the rear brake mounts, can i assume this wont be a coaster?

props yo!

sumnermclain said:
ill be honest i was prepared to not like this bike, i usually lean away from the modern look and i really just dont get the colored tire trend, but this thing is really shaping up. oldschool look with modern componets, i can dig it.

question- noticed you left the top tube brazeons, and the rear brake mounts, can i assume this wont be a coaster?

props yo!

I'm going to build aluminum "tank" pieces to fill that section of the frame, so I didn't bother removing those cable brackets. The rear canti mounts will be re-purposed to mount the rear lights for night-rides, or perhaps support a mini-fender if I go that route. After riding it for 10 miles or so today, I realize that I'd really like more rise on those bars. Maybe it's time to use a pillow-block stem and some BMX cruiser bars?

Your bike looks great!

I really like the combination of red, black and aluminum. My vote would be for gunmetal with aluminum scallops.

The red tires on the black rims work well. They the pick up on the bars, stem, chainring and seat.

There is qite a few mountain bike riser bars out there that you could try for cheap.

I can't wait to see the tank.

Good Luck

I installed a BMX stem (inverted) and a set of BMX cruiser bars this afternoon. AlTiTude got all self-conscious, believing that all its MTB buddies were going to make fun of it, and that the cute little fixie from down the block wasn't going to give it any play now that it looked like a "big kids' bike". It tried to hide from me, but I snapped a photo, anyway. Some humility is good for the kid.
AlTiTudeTree.jpg

Re: Al Ti-'Tude- goes all Tarzan on me 6/05

neat way to get around the crank issue but you have a problem. doing that i doubt highly that the crank arm will tighten on the spindle correctly and will end up stripping out the arm over time. a better solution to your troubles would be to get a longer bb typically with a cruiser set up single speed something in the 115 to 118 mm does it. but you may want to measure yours as it sits and see what it is.

It does tighten correctly, with about 1mm clearance left. I got lucky. I really want to put the tubular cro-mo BMX cranks that I'd originally planned for this thing in place, but am still trying to find a 19mm eight-spline BMX spindle or a 20mm english BB. In the meantime, these are working okay.

That bike has to be one of the best in the buildoff!
I really like the klunker/bmx/cruiser style you got goin' on.

Latest posts

Back