"Deluxe 6" Rat Racer build diary ALMOST DONE!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer

Petrohead said:
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I am thinking about doing a muscle style banana seat. Any thoughts out there..... :?:

Well since you asked......I think it's a great idea!

What about a nice "flat" Banana seat like the hurricane 5 seat I have on my Monark? I don't have mine sitting low enough yet. but if you got it

down just above the rear tire it would make the bike look longer. and have more of a motorcycle look......IMHO

4seasons018.jpg

4seasons025.jpg

I have more opinions :roll: What if you didn't use a seat post?
and welded the bottom of the seat right to the curved brace just over the tire?
I think it would really show off the twin top tubes length and get your banana seat really low just above the tire.

DSC04679.jpg

Just my crazy $0.02

Love this build!

Keep up the great work!

Subject: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer

herr_rudolf said:
I like it. VERY much. I thought the first incarnation was absolutely perfect but missed something to REALLY stand out from bikes that have been built before. Don't get me wrong, I think it was one of the nicest builds I've seen but I think you should go for a banana. If it doesn't work out you can always put the other seat back.

Besides...
I'd like to see some updates on this one, once in a while...
8)

Keep on doing what yer doing.
More updates coming!

Skipton said:
Petrohead said:
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I am thinking about doing a muscle style banana seat. Any thoughts out there..... :?:

Well since you asked......I think it's a great idea!

What about a nice "flat" Banana seat like the hurricane 5 seat I have on my Monark? I don't have mine sitting low enough yet. but if you got it

down just above the rear tire it would make the bike look longer. and have more of a motorcycle look......IMHO

4seasons018.jpg

4seasons025.jpg

I have more opinions :roll: What if you didn't use a seat post?
and welded the bottom of the seat right to the curved brace just over the tire?
I think it would really show off the twin top tubes length and get your banana seat really low just above the tire.

DSC04679.jpg

Just my crazy $0.02

Love this build!

Keep up the great work!

I dig it and agree it should be a bit lower. As for the welding of the "seat stays" I have been thinking about that with a couple other top secret ideas but am afraid to get that far into it because I am having surgery on my knee Thursday the 2nd of June and am afraid I won't be able to finish the work. Thanks and don't sell yourself shoprt, those thoughts are worth at least $0.03 cents!

I agree with Herr that it would really set it apart from the other builds. I also think that a "racer" might just have a more streamlined look to it which the narrower banana would really pull off. Then, if got one of those ridiculously high sissy bars, it could look a little more drag racer... kinda' cool, IMHO. Nice work so far!

How did the knee surgery go?..Hope it was a success.

roadking said:
Dude it's a crime to hack that frame
I guess I am outlaw! Seriously, though. Yes it is a crime. A crime of passion...... 8) I say take chances in life. Our world of custom kulture is a major influence and it must live on. I am sure there are plenty of bone stock 5-bars out there for you to enjoy.

KOTA said:
How did the knee surgery go?..Hope it was a success.
Knee surgery went good. I am healing super-fast and can already take a few steps here and there. I will be back on the build in no-time

Well, I had my knee surgery (lateral release) last Wednesday so I have been down for a few days but I am healing quickly and back at the build as long as I can stay on my feet although I spend most of the time scooting around on my work stool. I laid out a template for a tank, designed some badges and sent them over to Jones & Sons to etch. They came back and look absolutely perfect! One will be a head badge and the other will go on the top of the crank housing as a commemorative build plate. I will age them before applying them to stay true to the build (although they look great polished).

DSC04800.jpg

DSC04802.jpg

Would you mind sharing the process on those badges and how much something like that would cost? They look great.

yoothgeye said:
Would you mind sharing the process on those badges and how much something like that would cost? They look great.

All I really know is Terry over at Jones & Son makes them. I believe they are acid etched but he would have to answer any technical questions. I do most of the design for him as he is a very busy guy. Check out the thread here on the forum: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31195&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=jones

herr_rudolf said:
They came out wesome.
I like the design of the badges too.
8)

Thanks Herr- I am very inspired by your incredible graphics skills so thank you!

Awesome head badge & plaque! Those guys do amazing work! 8)

Covered the seat nice and ratty. Leather tooled with a 6, dyed and covered the pan with antiques brass rivet eyelets. Plans of highlighting with some pinstripes in the near future. Here is some of the process....
just wish I had a little more time with the leather work but kept reminding myself that it is a rat build!

DSC04805.jpg

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04807.jpg

DSC04808.jpg

DSC04809.jpg

Re: "Deluxe 6" Rat Racer TOOLED LETHER SEAT UPDATE

that turned out great!
images

Latest posts

Back