Dave's Oldster project: "Old Soul"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really digging that fender. Where did it come from?

JimK
That's a 4-3/4" wide "Stingray" ribbed steel motorcycle fender from Lowbrow Customs. I pinched the width in to about 4-1/2", which pushed the radius out to where it matches my tire, which (when mounted on a standard 26x2.125 or 28mm rim) measures around 30" tall.

That's a 4-3/4" wide "Stingray" ribbed steel motorcycle fender from Lowbrow Customs. I pinched the width in to about 4-1/2", which pushed the radius out to where it matches my tire, which (when mounted on a standard 26x2.125 or 28mm rim) measures around 30" tall.
Awesome!

Luke.

Didn't have much time this morning, so this is as much of a mock-up as you will see until tomorrow.
337ff43b07bc96f45dca8ac563f02a3f.jpg

TSP Cycle Farm "Oldster T1" frame and an old girder fork from an NSU motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Awesome .....
The fork rocks
Thanks. I scored it from Walker out of the For Sale board here around six months ago, and have been saving it for just the right project. It won't be at quite as steep an angle when the bike is complete, but I do like the fact that the Oldster's headtube angle is far more upright than most stretch cruiser/chopper frames. I feel like it gives a bit of a NYC street chopper, or maybe a speedway bike vibe.

Last edited:
Thanks, Doc!

No pics, but I thought I'd run down the mods made to the fork on Saturday:
1. Installed a headset with same stack height as the unit I intend to use on the finished bike, and trimmed down the 1-1/8" threaded steerer, meant for a knee-action springer.
2. Found K&S brass tubing with a 3/8" ID (snug fit on the lower link pivot bolt) and an OD juuuuust a little larger than the ID of the pivot on the bottom of the steerer.
3. Cut a length of the tubing to match the width of the steerer, and sanded the outside with 220 grit until I could juuuust start to force it inside the steerer pivot.
4. Slipped the pivot bolt into the tubing, jammed it as far as I could into the steerer by hand, and then hammered on the head of the bolt until the tubing was flush with the end of the pivot.
5. Now that I had a new full-length brass bushing (brass/bronze is good for this because it self-lubricates, preventing seizing in the future), I needed spacers to make the pivot as wide as the span between the lower links on the girder fork (about 1-1/2" wider than the Schwinn style springer legs). I found steel 3/8 ID spacers in a 3/4 length at the hardware store, and put brass washers on the ends to help them turn easily.
6. Bolted up everything, and checked for smooth action/no binding.

Also done today - unmounted that big tire and put an initial coat of bronze hammertone paint on the steel drop-center rims.

Really sweet build and fenderwork.
For others looking, y find silica bronze bushings and spacers in the hardware bins at big box stores such as home depot or Lowe's etc.

Really sweet build and fenderwork.
For others looking, y find silica bronze bushings and spacers in the hardware bins at big box stores such as home depot or Lowe's etc.
Yeah, I just needed something with a thinner wall than what they stock. Some brass tubing from the hobby shop was the perfect size, and 24" of it is only $4.

Latest posts

Back