Daughter build, BMX mini, done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Got 3 builds going,in the anything goes build off. I'll put this one here. Going to rebuild this wih my daughter, 6 years old. She didn't want a "boy" bike.

2003 Diamondback RM Jr. Aluminum frame, Euro square bottom bracket, sealed flip flop hubs. Mini rims aren't iso 406 like BMX, they're iso 451 if you guys aren't familiar.

As found, complete and rideable but pretty worn. Talked with the seller, his kid raced it, bought it from another racer, never been a street bike.

00b0b_hqZSVIttGRt_600x450.jpg

We kicked it in gear. Daughter was there for all the wrenching.
Notice the plastic, caustic chemicals on the way. I was planning on trying out salvage the OG paint and just shoot pearl over it, but it's pretty beat. Definitely not "pretty"
20170317_191643.jpg

20170318_133739.jpg

20170318_155750.jpg

Sanded the aluminum with 500 for even texture, then wetsanded with 600 and PPG panel prep and shot paint immediately.
I think a lot of adhesion problems with aluminum come from oxidation, by sanding and keeping the aluminum wet with panel prep until right before paint I've eliminated a lot of that.

Pink pearl in automotive clear directly over aluminum on the frame, fork has black base with same pink pearl clear. Looks black in fluorescent garage lights and pops under a 400w halogen.

20170408_104836.jpg
20170408_122945.jpg

Pink pink pink. Material is a zip up pencil bag from walmart, woven outer, vinyl backed. Got it all glued and clamped, ill staple it later, then hit it with heat gun and tighten it up.

Brakes mounted, chain on, may run a chain tensioner, got a new one somewhere in the parts pile.

Put the time in together this weekend to knock this out. Also attended a daddy daughter dance, very cool weekend.

Here it is, calling I done for now. Think it turned out pretty nice.
View attachment 49007

Pretty darn sweet! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back