BO15 Cyrus the Virus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1st gear, check
2nd gear, check
3rd gear, check
4th gear, check
5th gear, check
6th gear, check
7th gear, check

Now what trouble can I get myself into?

Swap it out for an 11 speed mullet? o_O

That pic helps a lot.

I will most likely use a jockey wheel for the guide/tensioner, or one like I used on Top Fool. BTW, it's 1st gear that hits the chainstay. I've experimented with how much to shorten the chain. Using my previous mentioned method of shifting gears, I shortened the chain about 7-8 links. With it too short, it would not go into 1st gear. I added a link until it went in smoothly. I need to shorten it 5 links.

Too short in first gear,
View attachment 124092

This works, it's in 6th gear and I have about 2" of ground clearance. Not a lot, but I don't plan to do much off-roading. I'm hoping to put the tensioner somewhere between the yellow lines. I think I'm going to need to put one on the upper loop of the chain also as it might hit the seat stay.

View attachment 124093

I think I'm now down to adjustments. With it set where it is, 3rd gear is hard to get, and I need to readjust the limit to get into 7th.

Making progress
Hi there, your awesome trike has inspired me to post on this site for the first time ever!
I don’t know exactly what your lower idler plan is, but I think you should experiment with lifting the chain above the chain stay so the weight of the chain is pressing on the teeth of the idler. Feels to me like that would be more secure than pushing the chain downwards.
Keep up the great work!

With the drivetrain woes straightened out, it was time to move on to a shifter mount. I really wanted to mount it towards the back, but after sitting on it, I realized it wasn't to be. So I'll go with a more traditional top tube mount.

It's pretty much the same procedure I used on Top Fool, so no need to explain the process again. Tomorrow I'll tack the other side in place and grind down the tin work.

P6020191.jpg

Hi there, your awesome trike has inspired me to post on this site for the first time ever!
I don’t know exactly what your lower idler plan is, but I think you should experiment with lifting the chain above the chain stay so the weight of the chain is pressing on the teeth of the idler. Feels to me like that would be more secure than pushing the chain downwards.
Keep up the great work!
That's probably what I'll do. I won't know for sure until I design the mount.

I got brave and welded the drive bushing to the axle. It's the first time I've had my little toy welder turned all the way up. This means I might be able to test ride the trike tomorrow. I won't have brakes, luckily I live on a low spot on the road, so it can't get away from me. I'm VERY curious as to how the gear ratios work out.

Everyone cross your fingers I don't kill or embarrass myself! :crazy:

Gotta go, The Bride of Frankenstein is on. I love the classic Universal monster movies!!!!!!!!!!

I got brave and welded the drive bushing to the axle. It's the first time I've had my little toy welder turned all the way up. This means I might be able to test ride the trike tomorrow. I won't have brakes, luckily I live on a low spot on the road, so it can't get away from me. I'm VERY curious as to how the gear ratios work out.

Everyone cross your fingers I don't kill or embarrass myself! :crazy:

Gotta go, The Bride of Frankenstein is on. I love the classic Universal monster movies!!!!!!!!!!
Sweet! Are you filming and posting it? Could be fun without brakes you know. With these killer looks, you only need a parashute to stop it :thumbsup:

Sweet! Are you filming and posting it? Could be fun without brakes you know. With these killer looks, you only need a parashute to stop it :thumbsup:

It's too hard to film and ride at the same time, :wink1:

Could install the shifter on your right, like a car has it right to the driver.

It is on the right.

CtV got its first shakedown run. I put it together and when I sat on it, I realized I was in 7th gear. What the heck, lets see how high 7th is. Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. First gear is ridiculously easy. I do have a problem, the cranks are too long with a 20" front wheel. I slapped a 24 on there and took off up and down the street. It's a little twitchy, but rides way better than I expected. It was a very quiet ride, no squeaks or clunks.

I would like to try a larger chainring, and am undecided if I should go with a 24" front wheel, or shorter cranks and the 20. Appearance wise, I like the 20" front wheel much better. But then again I was looking at a mountain bike tire on it which was too wide/tall and way too much of a knobby tread.

Last edited:
I would like to try a larger chainring, and am undecided if I should go with a 24" front wheel, or shorter cranks and the 20. Appearance wise, I like the 20" front wheel much better. But then again I was looking at a mountain bike tire on it which was too wide/tall and way too much of a knobby tread.

Let's see them glamour shots and we'll throw out some opinions :grin:

I'm sorry but I can't resist . I wounder if Billy Ray was singing THAT song about a different Virus ?
Now I can't erase the tune out of my brain . That's gotta be worse then any Virus ?
View attachment 124499
I have "Mr Sandman" stuck in my head now. LOL

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back