Cut, chop, shuffle, let's see what happens!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bars and think black would be great on them too. It's exciting seeing this one getting closer and closer to done!

IMG_0569.JPG
The bars are finished and painted. Instead of straight black, I decided to go a different route. The bare metal looked so good, I did a black chrome effect. I polished the steel as best I could, then applied the translucent black paint. I went heavy at the front of the bars, then faded as they swept back.

++ on the 'no scales'! I do think a fender in the front would be cool. You continue to press on! Im-press-ive! :cool2:

IMG_0572.JPG
I have decided to go with a front fender. Nothing fancy, but it looks nice. I will post a full picture of it once it is mounted solid. I also installed the headlight, which is just the right size. I also touched up the top and bottom fork mounts with satin black, and shined up the fork legs.

IMG_0576.JPG
IMG_0579.JPG
To finish out the evening, I started cable routing. I had thought at one point about going with internal routing, but I have nowhere near the time for that. I will have to go the traditional route, fortunately with the flowing lines of the frame I can follow pretty close and hide the cables. The brakes are in a ballpark location, shifter will wait for tomorrow.

The fenders look GOOD together.

IMG_0585.JPG
It's a rider! Took it for a spin around the block, interesting to say the least. Even with gear reduction, it isn't made for hills. With the wide back wheel, it moves with every change in the road. Turns have to be leaned into from the seat, not the bike itself. The wobble from the rear wheel isn't noticeable at speed, which was one of my concerns. I was worried it would turn into a speed wobble of sorts. The brakes work better than I hoped. Scrub speed ahead of time and you're fine. All that's left if painting fenders and wiring lights. The end is in sight!

Glad it's a rider.
Finish line is right ahead!
Looking great!

Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but they look great from where I'm sitting! :nod:

The color looks deep, rich, and sparkly.

@OddJob I wasn't being sarcastic, but as long as it looks good from where you're sitting that's all that matters right? I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which isn't a good thing with a timed build. Up close, there are spots where filler is already cracking, and the clear coat caused the base coat to run. Once it dried it almost sorted itself out, but not quite. The flake is kinda blotchy, especially in direct sunlight, which is all this bike will see most likely.

Yeah, well, fortunately and unfortunately our builds don't reveal all of the blemishes or beauty on the screens of our respective computers, phones, and devices. I know I've had highlights that didn't quite come out on the screen the way they appeared in person.

For me, the ride video is always important to see how the rolling art actually performs up to it's intended purpose: as a bicycle!

If you have time in the next few hours before the deadline, post one up. It would be fun to see you on it cruising the streets of Hometown, USA. :grin:

@OddJob I wasn't being sarcastic, but as long as it looks good from where you're sitting that's all that matters right? I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which isn't a good thing with a timed build. Up close, there are spots where filler is already cracking, and the clear coat caused the base coat to run. Once it dried it almost sorted itself out, but not quite. The flake is kinda blotchy, especially in direct sunlight, which is all this bike will see most likely.
Let me edit that post for you, then you can go back and edit the original post.

@OddJob it looks good from where you're sitting right? I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which is a good thing. Up close, there are spots where clear coat caused the base coat to run. Once it dried it sorted itself out, especially in direct sunlight, which is all this bike will see most likely.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those are ALL your words, with a few REMOVED........Never, Never tell your mistakes, let people find them. Sorta like "Finding Waldo"....People love to look, but most can't find him!

That thing is KILLER. I especially like the red.......Hey! Is that...is that a scratch I see on the front fender?:dontmentionit:

GREAT Job!

Latest posts

Back