Custom Shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Dyno Roadster. I put a Sturmey Archer 5-speed on it but of course it MUST have a proper stick shift.
I tried the attach-a-stick-to-the-twist-grip idea and didn't like it at all, way to floppy and just didn't look right.
There's a great aftermarket custom shifter on the market, but it's $200!!
So, I snagged one of those new-old-stock Shimano "Click Stick" shifters from eBay, got it for $36.
I took the plastic cover off and put it here:
IMG_0521_zpsqeczvf5e.jpg

It's indexed to work with a Shimano 3-speed with a spring-loaded ball bearing that pops into the three holes in this index plate:
IMG_0524_zpsy5c3xn5x.jpg

IMG_0525_zpsb6jcdke0.jpg

So I made a new one:
IMG_0522_zpst5hyacxz.jpg

IMG_0523_zpsz92hlgre.jpg

I'm gonna very carefully measure the distance the stock twist-shifter moves the cable in each gear, then drill my own index holes on the plate to match it. I hope I get it right the first time...
Maybe I'll put the stock plastic cover back on, or maybe I'll fashion something cooler.
The shifter itself is great, nice and firm with positive detents.

Cool idea, but doesn't the Sturmey 5 speed require two cables?

I can't speak for all S-A 5-speeds but I have two (the other on a trike) and they both have the single pull-chain shift. This one is a drum brake, the one I put on the trike is a coaster.

Good. I was thinking of the old SA 5's that had one cable on the left side if the hub and another cable on the right.

My plan is to build a cable measuring rig. I'll put a cable stop on it and a spring for the cable to pull against, and hook it to a lever mounted see-saw style but with the fulcrum point off center, so the big end of the lever moves around three times as far as the small end (where the shift cable will attach). By measuring the position of the big end in each gear with the original S-A shifter attached, I should get an accurate reading.
Then I'll match that with my shifter, mark the points where the detents need to be, drill, and live happily ever after.
That's the plan anyway.

That is true rat rodding ingenuity right there. If you can't find/afford just the right part for your build, no problem just build your own out of something else. I love it.

Also I vote for ditching the plastic cover and building a custom one. It would be a shame to do all of that custom work and then hide it under a stock cover.

I haven't built the index plate measuring rig yet but here's the latest from MonsterMaker La-BOOR-atory...

"I vote for ditching the plastic cover and building a custom one."
You know, the more I looked at it, the more I agreed.
I decided the stock white plastic shift handle had to go, too.
I made an adapter to mount a car shifter handle:
IMG_0540_zpsqreqij7d.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsvedbszfs.jpg

I put on a Hurst Pistol Grip:
IMG_0539_zpsqomnjxrc.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsnivrgemw.jpg

There's some interference with the handlebars at full-right-turn; I'll either make a stop so they don't turn as far, or I'll just deal with having to slap it forward to 4th or 5th if I want to turn it that sharp. Coolness overrules.

This is the shifter cable-travel measuring rig I made. I marked the shift points, then I hooked up my custom shifter and at each point, I marked it to drill the detents into the detent plate.
It worked, the shifter shifts the hub great.

I also made a sleeker mount for the Hurst handle, and I did re-use the stock shifter cover but I painted it black.
I moved the shifter forward and found a sweet spot where there isn't any interference with the handlebars.
IMG_0552_zpsrq2ythsd.jpg

IMG_0551_zps1tsv9sxe.jpg

I took it out and rode it today, works great! That handle is pretty heavy, but the detents are strong enough to hold it. And the bike has so much more attitude!
I took that front fender off, it doesn't sit right with the small front tire.
I haven't made up my mind about that; I like the "hot rod" big & little look, but I'm trying to avoid a "chopper" look.

I haven't built the index plate measuring rig yet but here's the latest from MonsterMaker La-BOOR-atory...

"I vote for ditching the plastic cover and building a custom one."
You know, the more I looked at it, the more I agreed.
I decided the stock white plastic shift handle had to go, too.
I made an adapter to mount a car shifter handle:
IMG_0540_zpsqreqij7d.jpg

IMG_0541_zpsvedbszfs.jpg

I put on a Hurst Pistol Grip:
IMG_0539_zpsqomnjxrc.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsnivrgemw.jpg

There's some interference with the handlebars at full-right-turn; I'll either make a stop so they don't turn as far, or I'll just deal with having to slap it forward to 4th or 5th if I want to turn it that sharp. Coolness overrules.
Am I allowed to double like the shifter?...if so, considered it done.
Barto

Latest posts

Back