Custom Cruiser For My Son

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
My 11 year old son already has a couple of bikes. He has his BMX that I built him, and he has a 40s 24" Rolfast that he rides when he feels like riding vintage. But he doesn't have a custom cruiser, and it seemed like a crime that my son wasn't sporting one of my frames, so we decided to correct that.

We went out to the shop today, and started pulling parts out that he wanted to use. I let him grab whatever he wanted. This turned out to be a problem, as he put together some weird stuff that will be a very odd bike when it's done. But hey, it's his bike, and he'll be able to say that he had a hand in designing and building it.

He started by pulling out some cream BOA-Gs that I purchased on this site. He then said he wanted the colors to be cream, black, and red (like father, like son). He pulled a HUGE set of apes, which forced me to give it a good amount of rake, in order to account for his short reach. The grips on the apes were given to him just today by someone I was trading with, and they happen to be red and cream, which is a crazy coincidence. And then the weirdest thing to throw into that mix, a black banana seat. I can't place the seat over the back wheel, he wouldn't fit! So, the bike will be a little stretched, and the banana seat will be in front of the rear wheel. I've also got the bottom bracket/crank/pedals cut out of an OCC Schwinn frame, which I'll use to get around those 3.45" tires.

Here is the parts laid out over my normal template, and then a sketch I made to see what it should look like:
IMG_2013_zps22859199.jpg

IMG_2009_zps1adb0593.jpg

Coming together:
IMG_2049_zpsbd1328f2.jpg

I attached the sissy bar to the drops, but I'm not sure it'll be its final resting place. I may make a bracket to allow it to run straight up and down. Then I got it riding, and last minute, I added these shamrocks that I bought at the steel supplier. My son thought they would be cool, since he's a redhead named Connor, so everyone assumes he's Irish. :)
IMG_2052_zps55925f66.jpg

Looks very cool!:cool:
You've fab'd almost everything on the bike, why not fab your own sissy bar?
Maybe it could follow the contour of the rear wheel?

That's an idea, man. I'm going to let my son ride it for a bit to see if it works for him, but I'll definitely consider that. That's good thinking.

Funny timing that this thread was bumped, as I have an update! I knocked the paint off of the fork, seat tube, and head tube, and had karfer67 pinstripe it up for me in green and cream, and I think it looks pretty cool. More importantly, Connor thinks it looks cool.
IMG_2317_zpse6801407.jpg

IMG_2318_zpseb1ecd81.jpg

IMG_2319_zpsca6b2b4b.jpg

Connor wants no clear coat or protection. He wants it to rust. My boy. ;)

Latest posts

Back