Cruiser bars with a 7/8 clamp?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm continuing to build up my wife's balloon tire mixte that I've posted here a few times, and it's certainly an unusual breed - elements of cruiser, BMX, MTB and road bike all in one. The stock stem on the bike is pretty cool, and I'd like to keep it on the bike if possible. Thing is, it's a BMX-style quill stem, and it had riser bars (BMX-style bars without the top cross bar) with a 7/8 clamp diameter. My wife would prefer cruiser bars on it, preferably with the rise and sweep of those handlebars found on old lightweights and British 3 speeds.

This is an extremely difficult thing to research, as of course most cruiser bars have a 7/8 diameter where the grips go on. But from what I can gather, nobody ever really made cruiser bars with a 7/8 diameter? I'm hoping some of you who've been doing this much longer than I have can verify/deny this.

You pretty much have to drill the stem out to 1 inch which is very difficult to do without machine shop tools.

I think those are very similar to what came on some of the Dynos and Rat Finks. I agree that they are very cool bars.

Yeah, they don't quite have the "North Road" bend of Brit 3speeds and many lightweights, but they've got a classic cruiser bend.... very comfortable, and plenty of room at the grip area for whatever levers, shifters, bells, etc you might want to run. FWIW, I had an imported 7/8" cruiser bar that was almost identical, but made in the PRC.... came on a mangled, er uh "customized", Schwinn i got in a trade. That was probably off a Dyno. Great bars.

FWIW, on Raleighs and other Nottingham-built 3 speeds, the bars were usually 15/16" (23.8mm), as opposed to the 1" (25.4mm) standard, or the 7/8" (22.2mm) that you're looking for. You might be able to bore out your stem to accept a Raleigh handlebar, if she's got her heart set on that bend...

Yeah, they don't quite have the "North Road" bend of Brit 3speeds and many lightweights, but they've got a classic cruiser bend.... very comfortable, and plenty of room at the grip area for whatever levers, shifters, bells, etc you might want to run. FWIW, I had an imported 7/8" cruiser bar that was almost identical, but made in the PRC.... came on a mangled, er uh "customized", Schwinn i got in a trade. That was probably off a Dyno. Great bars.

FWIW, on Raleighs and other Nottingham-built 3 speeds, the bars were usually 15/16" (23.8mm), as opposed to the 1" (25.4mm) standard, or the 7/8" (22.2mm) that you're looking for. You might be able to bore out your stem to accept a Raleigh handlebar, if she's got her heart set on that bend...

haha, nah, we'd sooner change stems than do that. I'm pretty sure these Wald bars will get the job done, and because this will primarily be a winter commuter, the wider wingspan isn't exactly a bad thing - it's not like she should be going fast enough to need to make any nimble, precision turns anyways.

Man, I should just know by now that if there's a weird niche part I need, Wald probably makes it.

btw, did anyone take the time to read the description of these handlebars? Pretty deep stuff - here's an excerpt: "The 828 is a gentle giant among navigational aids." What :crazy:?

Wald makes any primitive "weird niche parts" you might need, but not so much the high tech stuff.

As for the product description, all that comes straight from the waldsports.com site. Wald has de-contented their site these past few years, but it used to be replete with awesomely weird product descriptions....

Latest posts

Back