Creative truss rod ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don´t hang me but I´ve never liked truss rods, they make the front look too heavy (sort of unbalanced).
I've been hanging here for a few days. I'm starting to get the itch to build something (although I don't have a stash of parts anymore).
I did these truss rods "eons" ago. The green bike was called "Snot Rocket". I tried to match the front rods at the same angle of the rear carrier supports, to make it look symmetrical and balanced.

The second bike was called Rats Alt. I wanted to match the downward angle of the rear rods, also for balance and symmetry. Those were made from two Spaceliner rear carriers.

001-251.jpg

DSC04725.jpg

I've been hanging here for a few days. I'm starting to get the itch to build something (although I don't have a stash of parts anymore).
I did these truss rods "eons" ago. The green bike was called "Snot Rocket". I tried to match the front rods at the same angle of the rear carrier supports, to make it look symmetrical and balanced.

The second bike was called Rats Alt. I wanted to match the downward angle of the rear rods, also for balance and symmetry. Those were made from two Spaceliner rear carriers.

001-251.jpg

DSC04725.jpg
Similar lines help and also when the fork is bent that much it also gives kind of a reason to make them.
Things need to be functional and there needs to be a reason for a choise to look right IMO. I don´t like "decorative only" kind of stuff.

I've always been more of a minimalist when it came to my bikes. But I can appreciate when someone is going for a certain look, and has to add decorative things. I call it artistic expression.

Similar lines help and also when the fork is bent that much it also gives kind of a reason to make them.
Things need to be functional and there needs to be a reason for a choise to look right IMO. I don´t like "decorative only" kind of stuff.

You’re not wrong about balance but I don’t think it means you should never use a certain part or style, just balance it out if you do . Since I’m doing some CWC/Hawthorne 2 spring truss rods with ape hangers no less, I will design accordingly. I’m doing a double headlight and a taillight plus a big gaudy Monark rear fender reflector, The saddle I choose must have a crash rail. A vintage chrome emergency pump mounted to seat post tube and Either a 2 leg center stand kickstand or a rear wheel drop down one. Then I’ll consider some axle caps but it might be too much
Im usually a “less is more” guy but if I’m gonna peacock Im gonna peacock so hard that even Floyd Mayweather would say “OK, you need to bring it down some”

Latest posts

Back