Creative truss rod ideas?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting a bent fork on my bike and want some truss rods. I may just use 5/16 cold rolled steel, but I'd like to do something cool, clever, unusual or weird.
Does anyone have anything?
Could you point me at any topics or builds that have ideas?

Here's a couple of ideas....

I always liked the way Hawk bikes incorporate a 'truss rod' on their bikes. They look 'tough' to me...could easily be made from conduit or copper and tied into the handlebars.
HawkHudson1.jpg

Here's another pic I grabbed (probably from someone here andfiled in my 'design ideas' folder.
DSCF16471.jpg

Lastly, here's the plans for a set of 'bolt-on' brackets, just add the rods. Now, they are OLD school, but are still cool. They were given to me by a fellow forum member.
ForkParts21.jpg

ForkParts.jpg

Good luck!
Cheers,
Dr. T

Thanks Dr T. The rods on the Hawk bike are awesome. Fatter than most. Those look like cool bikes. I think the reflector bracket is the direction I will go. Simple and will go with the rattiness of my bike. Thanks so much for your help.

g-ratter, those are burly! I don't have a welder or the skills yet. I'm signing up for an adult ed welding class this winter. Very excited about that.

My build is here-

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=47113

Thanks guys

i used wood dowels plugged into some stainless tubing here. the postwar schwinn brackets are easy to find on ebay, i used electrical connectors on the axle for the bottom. :wink:

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02079.jpg

DSC02088.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

jaysmo said:
g-ratter said:
Love the wooden look!!!
yea i have to agree that looks real clean.... love the stain job on the dowles also..

wish i'd come up with the wood idea BEFORE that buildoff ended- mighta got a few more votes..... :mrgreen:

Just when I think I've seen all the good ideas.....somebody comes up with another flavor of genius. Great look...consider it stolen for my next project :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!! Thanks for sharing the pics :mrgreen: :D

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Just when I think I've seen all the good ideas.....somebody comes up with another flavor of genius. Great look...consider it stolen for my next project :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!! Thanks for sharing the pics :mrgreen: :D

No doubt huh!!? These are awesome. I'm gonna use 'em all. :lol:

jaysmo said:
iv heard of car break lines being used never seen them done but i heard....

here you go...

029.jpg

made these from brake lines sourced from Auto-Zone, cost all of $8
I was able to tap threads in the upper section so that it bolts right in, the lower part that attaches to the fork was flattened carefully then drilled. After the fab work was done I polished them as best I could and then clearcoated so they wouldnt rust.

Ratfink1962 said:
jaysmo said:
iv heard of car break lines being used never seen them done but i heard....

here you go...

029.jpg

made these from brake lines sourced from Auto-Zone, cost all of $8
I was able to tap threads in the upper section so that it bolts right in, the lower part that attaches to the fork was flattened carefully then drilled. After the fab work was done I polished them as best I could and then clearcoated so they wouldnt rust.
hey ratfink you got close up pic of these they look real nice....and what size break line are they all universal?
got to get to the autoparts store tonight...
Thanks

I think the line was 1/4" o.d.

And I currently dont have any close-ups, but I tried to pretty much copy the look of the originals. Ill have to take a few pics next time Im over that way. (its over at my folk's place right now)

Ratfink1962 said:
I think the line was 1/4" o.d.

And I currently dont have any close-ups, but I tried to pretty much copy the look of the originals. Ill have to take a few pics next time Im over that way. (its over at my folk's place right now)
thanks i actually picked some up last night and i niled the size too....

Latest posts

Back