Could someone explain this headtube to me.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the purpose of making it so fat?
20200221_210814.jpg

Is it a small frame? It looks like a 91 or 92, and I'm only seeing that head tube on small bikes, the large version is longer. Maybe they made it fat so they could go internal, shortening it for smaller geo. Gary thought about bike fit.
06140681-2.jpg
1991-gary-fisher-advance-red-sizzle-02.jpg

Looks like they moved the brakes under the stays on the small too, looks good in there.

Is it a small frame? It looks like a 91 or 92, and I'm only seeing that head tube on small bikes, the large version is longer. Maybe they made it fat so they could go internal, shortening it for smaller geo. Gary thought about bike fit.
View attachment 120139View attachment 120140
Looks like they moved the brakes under the stays on the small too, looks good in there.
The bike is a small frame.

As a designer i guess it is simple. The bigger bearing you can put in - the more contact surface you get, and as a result the tougher the connection would be. Maybe this mtb frame was designed for rigid forks and extreme riding. Similar to the way they use oversized bearings on the bottom of newer MTB frames.

Latest posts

Back