Cost of relacing a rear wheel?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a mtn bike rear wheel and a RB2 BENDIX hub. Any idea of what a shop would charge to relace the wheel. Need a heads up before dealing with a shop. Though about trying it myself but don't have the proper equipment.

check the top of the forum, alot of great tutorials. i was thinking about sending my wheels out, but am gonna give it a try first. looks like special tools are not needed, just basic ones

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2599

Meeba said:
check the top of the forum, alot of great tutorials. i was thinking about sending my wheels out, but am gonna give it a try first. looks like special tools are not needed, just basic ones.

you will need a spoke wrench and...well, that's about it! :wink:

The only equipment you need is a spoke wrench. It isn't as scary as it looks. Dive in and give it a shot. Use an online spoke calculator to determine spoke length, get your spokes and go. There are several good videos on YouTube that can walk you through it. My first one took me two hours just to lace. Now I can lace and true a pair in less time.

When you are ready to true it up just mount the wheel in a frame and dial it in. If you run into issues post them here and we can talk you through it.

I kept some of the spokes that didn't break while taking apart the original rusted out rim. This is the same rim I got the RB2 from. Do I just order the new spokes in the same length as the originals? They are both 26" wheels and have the same number of spokes.

yup, just get the same spokes, when you get them make sure the have the same amount of threading.

I brought a pair of wheels to my lbs and asked to have the rear wheel taken apart and re-laced with a 3 speed hub, I supplied the spokes, nipples, and hub. In addition to relacing the rear I wanted the front trued. When I went to pick up the wheels I was informed that my front hub had a crack in it and that he replaced it with a used one he had laying around. So all said and done they relaced the rear with my parts, relaced the front with his hub, trued them both, and put the rubber rim strip things in for $40. I thought it was fair.

Latest posts

Back