Convert to Skip Tooth

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen photos of the hub but coulden't make out the brand name. Crossing myfingers that I can gain access to it sooner than later...and that this guy makes a trade with me

Yes! The converted sprocket will work fine, but will wear quickly. The ichi sprocket is 5-star. My new Ichi sprocket made noise the 1st 20 miles or so before it quieted down from a bit of use. Also be aware with the Ichi, the chainline adjustment is less because of the thick design and lack of offset.

I have two of those Ichi cogs, one on a Schwinn New World from 1947 and one in the parts bin for any future conversions I do. I like them a lot and bought the second after having a good experience with the first. Do yourself a favor and go with the Ichi cog rather than grinding teeth off a standard one.

Skiptooth cogs usually have a slightly different tooth profile than a standard Sturmey Archer or Shimano cog.

IMG_3004.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

All,
Thanks for the input, I finally received my wheel with a Shamano 3CC hub including excellent spokes...I'm pleased. I also ordered a Shamano 3 speed shifter that I hope comes in today or tomorrow. Kinda busy restoring a few other items but I will for sure be purchasing an Ichi cog as you both are recommending...seems like the easiest/best way to go.
How difficult is the conversion? Been to you tube but couldn’t find and thing with good video. I'm sure it's not that difficult. Anywho, I'll be converting the hum to skip tooth and lacing the 3CCC to my original wheel...(never did that before either. Should be fun!
BART

You just gotta pop a snapring off the driver with a flathead screwdriver, pull the original cog off, and put the new cog on the driver. It's got 3 splines, and will rest on a little ridge on the driver. Then, you pop the snapring back on. You might want to order a new snapring; the old snapring might be kinda spent by now....inspect it and see.

Latest posts

Back