Confused Huffy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my first partial rebuild i have attempted.. so... I am going bald now

bought this as a 53 Huffy, think it's more in the 40's with the paint scheme and plain chainguard
ebayhuffy.jpg

originally planned on putting a set of chopper/springer forks on it, but after some confusion with the headtube size I went with a set of forks, from a 50's Huffy, I got from a forum member here
100_3556.jpg

still did not fit correctly...not a huge deal easy fix for the LBS, but this also made me question the year..
also 26" tires fit on it, but I am not sure if it was a 26" to begin with.. drudging forward anyway.

also, apparently there are two different 1" headset sizes.. mine was the irregular one.. of course.. the LBS also hooked me up with a new headset Thanks guys

got most of the original hardware still, and it cleaned up nicely
rust1.jpg

rust5.jpg

got it back from the LBS tonight and had to throw it sorta together, just to make sure it fits.. not that I am impatient or anything :lol:
100_3608.jpg

100_3609.jpg

bars are also from another 50's Huffy. Need to finish sanding this down and then paint.. summers coming way too fast now

any tips, pointers, comments are more than welcome, and very appreciated

need to talk to 37fleetwood hes the resident Huffman expert. I know that he helped me out considerably. I have a 47 Dayton/Huffman frame but my rear drop outs are different from yours. I would guess( note ONLY a guess) it is later than 47 so maybe 48-49 or could really be a 50s bike. Either way cool looking build so far. You may want to check out fleetwoods other site there is good info there : http://classicbicyclefanatics.com/index ... &Itemid=76
You can also see what my 47 looks like and you will see the difference: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36020
After reading fleetwoods site I think yours looks like a 48 or newer. give him a shout out and he should be able to help. Good luck I'll be watching this one.

i def see a difference in the frames.. maybe it is a 53 after all..
going for the classic front end white, with the peaks, with the rest of the bike being black with some red trim here and there..
prob going to have to cover the bars with some of that black foam grip, guessing they won't shine up real well lol

i got on ebay, but same buyer i am sure lol

i am so clueless.. i am turning this into a 26" cruiser when it is really a 24" frame .. so I am guessing that's where some of my fork fitting trouble may of come from :oops:

got most of the sanding done.. getting ready to paint soon.. trying to beat spring!

100_3725.jpg

lol just a bit, it's hardwood/painted so no big deal up there. we don't use our upstairs here. so i took it over with this

good thing that my wife is understanding :roll:

well.. homebrew paintjob is done lol

applying clear coat in thin easy layers now.. maybe start assembling it tomorrow after work

100_3745.jpg

100_3747.jpg

100_3751.jpg

100_3752.jpg

thought about doing the peaks from white to black,.. but this is my first shot.. and I could not get them the same on both sides...

minus a kickstand, it is pretty much done.. for now... Went for a ride.. all you can hear is tire tread.. beautiful sound on a rainy day

100_3779.jpg

100_3771.jpg

100_3774.jpg

100_3777.jpg

100_3778.jpg

actually, after going for a ride on it today made me feel like a giant.. even with moving the seat up i would still feel too tall.. so I ordered a banana seat, and found a sissy bar.. may throw on a set of apehangers... since i am not going for original look might as well have some fun with it

Good job ratter. Check out the punisher in fresh finds. Peace

just to close this thread/build out here is the finished bike.. never realized I didn't come back and post it completed.

100_6240.jpg

100_6241.jpg

100_6242.jpg

only thing I may do, down the road, is get a correct crank for it.

Latest posts

Back