Comfort Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Bare with me, as I walk you through how I decided on my next build. You can skip to the pics if you're impatient.

I have a notebook full of drawings, ideas, and designs. Dozens of good possible builds.

I have a smaller list of builds on deck, a few bikes that may be the next I'll start, usually kept to about three.

To narrow it even further, there are two that I'm very excited about in particular.

And yet, I'm sweeping them all off to the side for something that has come into my head as necessary. See, a couple of recent rides, mainly in the Bay Area with its hills and bridges, has finally revealed a need to me. Early this year, I finished the "ultimate comfort bike" for my wife. Her ideal bike for those long, comfortable rides. But I've never built one of those for myself. A nice stretched, multi-speed bike with good brakes. Here's the one I built for my wife:
IMG_2975_zps3c2dfe63.jpg

All of my bikes are single speed, heavy, and some are just plain impractical. Fun, but impractical. This one will be multi-speed using a 3 speed NEXXUS in a Worksman wheelset I got here with a front drum brake. It'll have a nice stretch. It'll have a springer. But this is me, so it'll still feature some cool vintage parts and other cool touches. I'm not going completely clean.

I got this chair from my Father-in-Law for one reason:
IMG_2439_zpsce32b00c.jpg

The curve of the arms:
IMG_2440_zps87bd3b4c.jpg

The original idea for the chair was to make a frame using all of its parts, but that's now out, as I just use the part I really wanted to use. So that chair arm is the start of my frame. I'll scratch build it from there, and the other essential piece will be the 1948 Harley Davidson motorcycle "rubber band" front end I bought from ebay a while ago. I'll be doing some mods to it, and making it a proper girder fork. Here are some of the parts laid over my regular Science frame template:
IMG_3385_zpsuekovcye.jpg

Parts list:
-Worksman heavy duty wheelset
-BOA-G tires
-motorcycle girder front end
-motorcycle handlebars
-Pensive Works revolver drops
-lawn chair pieces
-3 piece cranks
-other assorted parts from off of my shelves

I loved that comfort stretch you did for the wife.
Very creative parts list on this one.
Those chair arms are providing some cool line and I like how it's non-tubular.

Chairs can make cool handlebars too.
WP_20150520_18_26_27_Pro.jpg

Got caught up enough to do some work on this bike. I've decided to build that main front of the frame in 1 1/2" tubing. The chair arm is 2" wide, and I thought that 1" would look a little puny with it.
IMG_3422_zpsohef4lxz.jpg

Because of the angles I needed the seat stays to be in order for the revolver drops to look correct, I needed to put a bend in the seat stays so that they would still reach close to the top tube. Since I was doing that, I thought what the heck, I'll put a bend in the chain stays as well. It gave it a unique look, which I like.
IMG_3454_zpspjunbvh2.jpg

It rolls.
IMG_3452_zpsbcxzrsqv.jpg

IMG_3453_zpszyyp4np0.jpg

I like the bends in the stays too!
That chair piece flows perfectly for a down tube.
How is the action on the fork? Looks great!

How is the action on the fork? Looks great!

Thanks. It's a stiff spring, so it doesn't really move by pushing down on it. I think I used a 500lb MTB shock. I'm thinking that it'll still help cushion jarring bumps, though.

Added a mid-bar, because every frame looks better with a mid-bar.
IMG_3456_zpszjto1dbx.jpg

And then finished out the frame.
IMG_3457_zpsmh5oj0oq.jpg

Although I may not be 100% done, as I'm considering adding a fender in the back, or some gussets for some flair. I'll be out of the shop for a week, so it'll give me time to ponder my options.

Did some finishing little welds, and starting putting parts on it.
IMG_3526_zps5tdf4acm.jpg

A few of the parts I'm using for this build came off of my 36" bike, which has been disassembled. Including these very comfortable OOQI grips that I bought some time ago. These are awesome, soft grips, almost 2" in diameter. Unfortunately, OOQI went out of business, so these are my only pair.
IMG_3528_zps9luzzv0c.jpg

I spotted this really cool motorcycle fender in a pile, and decided to put it on this bike. I went to the flea market this weekend, and picked up a couple of 7/8" wrenches to use as struts. I had to crush the side where the chain goes by, since it's so wide, but even then, I had to crush it so far, it's against the tire, so I'll probably just have to cut it away around the chain. Otherwise, I threw the last of the parts on it, and took it for a ride. I can't find the three speed cable right now, but hopefully I'll run across it soon.
IMG_3539_zps6mrzvcjc.jpg

IMG_3540_zpsahjy6uqd.jpg

Painted the bike with Duplicolor chrome red. I was planning on powder coating it, but I just don't have the money for that right now. Plus, the chrome fender and wrench struts were fine to leave as they were, so spent the $20 for some paint, and did it myself. It's definitely not a great paint job, but it's okay, especially if you don't scrutinize it too closely. I may do something different in the future, when I'm back in the funds. In the meantime, the bike is basically done, and very rideable.
IMG_3574_zpshqrich6u.jpg

IMG_3575_zpsojemitb2.jpg

IMG_3576_zps767f1o8c.jpg

Latest posts

Back