Columbia middleweight tank for a Newsboy?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was at Ann Arbor walking around. Wasn't finding anything too special and happened to see this pathetic looking Columbia middleweight. No fenders, mismatched wheels, house paint, cruiser seat, rust....and a pretty interesting looking tank. A guy a couple of spaces down had a ballooner Columbia built Newsboy like mine and I started looking and thought the tank just might fit. The guy wanted $40 for the whole crappy middleweight with the tank. I really didn't want to drag it home and had no need for it once I got it here, so I negotiated and got him to sell me just the tank. Looks like it is a perfect fit on my Newsboy. I'll need to get creative for the mounting, but I think it is going to work. Has a really cool bell. I mean it isn't a FireArrow dual light tank, but it looks pretty slick.

nbtank1.jpg

nbtank2.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Find!! I love the patina on that bike as I mentioned in your original thread from last year.

How bad was the newsboy frame? Was it like your current newsboy with the built in rack?

Actually it was in super nice shape. Same frame with the built in rack. Original paint, trusses, etc. I would say an 8/10. I was somewhat interested till he said he wanted $600 for it. Just can't see that money for a 60s Columbia.

Actually this tank sort of matches the mismatched patina look of the bike!

Actually it was in super nice shape. Same frame with the built in rack. Original paint, trusses, etc. I would say an 8/10. I was somewhat interested till he said he wanted $600 for it. Just can't see that money for a 60s Columbia.

Actually this tank sort of matches the mismatched patina look of the bike!

I thought you said he only wanted $40 and you passed, I was like "WHAT THE HECK!!!!" lol

I was at Ann Arbor walking around. Wasn't finding anything too special and happened to see this pathetic looking Columbia middleweight. No fenders, mismatched wheels, house paint, cruiser seat, rust....and a pretty interesting looking tank. A guy a couple of spaces down had a ballooner Columbia built Newsboy like mine and I started looking and thought the tank just might fit. The guy wanted $40 for the whole crappy middleweight with the tank. I really didn't want to drag it home and had no need for it once I got it here, so I negotiated and got him to sell me just the tank. Looks like it is a perfect fit on my Newsboy. I'll need to get creative for the mounting, but I think it is going to work. Has a really cool bell. I mean it isn't a FireArrow dual light tank, but it looks pretty slick.

nbtank1.jpg

nbtank2.jpg
Nice, I love those frames too. Got a pic of the guard?

I actually sold you the tank from that crappy Columbia middleweight, I am glad you found a cool use for it. I still took what was left of the bike home and it will probably end up as somebody's yard art. Matt

Latest posts

Back