Columbia Convertible Commuter *FINISHED*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potts mod. I'm jus' sayin'...

Edit: Well, I guess I'm not the only ^^^ old flatland rider watching this thread.
Yeah man! I still have my flatland bikes too!

RM - use a good quality cable and lined housing and grease it up. Potts modded brakes like the cables good and slippy.

Thought this was cool some Bmx history of day gone by
335a8794c25f417961e9bbe5333c6153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally did a rolling mock up today. The drop outs and the fork had to be opened up to accommodate the wider 700c wheel hubs. The fenders are not mounted yet, they are just sitting on the tires.

ec6396d5-2e00-41b5-b4d8-a8f3c12f2477_zpshsivwlxo.jpg

After living with the lowered and stretched Raceliner for a year, the unaltered wheelbase and ride height sitting on 700's makes it look like a Donk! :eek: :21:

Nice high stance.

I finally did a rolling mock up today. The drop outs and the fork had to be opened up to accommodate the wider 700c wheel hubs. The fenders are not mounted yet, they are just sitting on the tires.

ec6396d5-2e00-41b5-b4d8-a8f3c12f2477_zpshsivwlxo.jpg

After living with the lowered and stretched Raceliner for a year, the unaltered wheelbase and ride height sitting on 700's makes it look like a Donk! :eek: :21:

With the ground clearance you have you can put longer crank arms on it and fly! My issue with it is always feet to close to front wheel. Looks good though.

The front rim in the mock-up picture needed upgraded and was the wrong color so I ordered a Sun Rims CR18 in solid black to match the rear. I think that I'll keep the machined aluminum finish on the hubs.

94585b8b-049b-458e-a1cc-80cb8f4e2e63_zpsih9177bv.jpg

I swapped it out yesterday and trued it up this evening using the fork and a zip tie as a truing stand.

Here's another mock up picture from yesterday. I love the rack on these frames!
100_9432_zpsmp9s4syu.jpg

Love the look of the fenders being right down on the tires. Looks fast already. You're gonna love having all the gears.
I do too! They will not be very much higher when I mount them. It's going to be tricky getting them in just the right place with so little clearance. I had to actually move the fork drop outs on Southern Flyer to get that tight fit, but I think these will work as they are. At least I'm hoping so.:)

The front rim in the mock-up picture needed upgraded and was the wrong color so I ordered a Sun Rims CR18 in solid black to match the rear. I think that I'll keep the machined aluminum finish on the hubs.

94585b8b-049b-458e-a1cc-80cb8f4e2e63_zpsih9177bv.jpg

I swapped it out yesterday and trued it up this evening using the fork and a zip tie as a truing stand.

Here's another mock up picture from yesterday. I love the rack on these frames!
100_9432_zpsmp9s4syu.jpg
great look! that rack is super cool! and good move on the black rims...

I need to make a small decision concerning my rims. It turns out that the new rim came drilled for a Presta valve. The rear rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. I don't want to have both on the bike, so I can either drill out the Presta or get an adapter to reduce the Schrader. I'm more inclined to just drill out the Presta. The Schraders are much easier to use and more common to replace in a pinch.

Does anyone have a good reason why I should not drill my new rim?

I need to make a small decision concerning my rims. It turns out that the new rim came drilled for a Presta valve. The rear rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. I don't want to have both on the bike, so I can either drill out the Presta or get an adapter to reduce the Schrader. I'm more inclined to just drill out the Presta. The Schraders are much easier to use and more common to replace in a pinch.

Does anyone have a good reason why I should not drill my new rim?

I've done it a heap of times with no problems. I'd suggest using a well used drill bit, so it's less likely to grab, then just sand/file any sharp edges.

Latest posts

Back