colson clone loop tail practice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What seems like a long time ago , I decided the perfect bike would be a stretched twin bar frame with the forward pedal technology that a Townie had just come out with. I decided on a 1938 colson and Hooch had one for sale. I copied it and stretched it 7''. it made for a comfortable ride. I built me one ....and my brother wanted one and I built a third...It wound up with Tikyharl. I was going to ramp up some production , but found out real quick they wern't going to jump off of the shelf. Anyway I had a front to one I never finished , and since I just got my bender I decided to hook a looptail triangle to it.( It was really Clancy's idea.) Anyway I bent a back and started to get it welded on today. Its kinda a trial shot and the whole thing may end up in the scrap pile. Here is what I have so far.Excuse the mess. :oops: :oops:
DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0008-3.jpg

Kinda what it will look like. I dropped the back down a little to make it look a little racier. Still have a ways to go, but its getting there.

DSCF0010-2.jpg

Wow, looks great :shock: If you decide to put it in the scrap pile let me know, I'll take it :wink:

Well glad everybody likes it. Still have some figuring out to do......like how to get two 1'' tubes to go together and weld to a 1'' tube at the seat post without a bunch of angle slicing . Oh well its just for fun anyway. :shock: :shock:

well I think it looks terrible and you should send it to the scrap yard. I know about a great one in my garage. Ill make sure it gets taken care of :)

It looks great. I think it would look cool with some anodized parts because it reminds me of the loop tail bmx bikes of the 80's

that's very neat. I really like it.

I can visualize how the tubes should connect together but not sure I can describe it: If you bend the ends toward the seat tube they could get welded on in such a way as to eliminate lots of angle slicing.

dash said:
man that is cool!!!! what bender did you use for the triangle?

The new JD2 model 3 I just bought. Works good

Have no idea what will go on it parts wise Skills. I doubt if it will stay together. I'm just practicing on doing a loop tail rear triangle for the other frames I build.

Skip I know what your thinking. I think I can pull it off. It looks like I can bend the ends together enough and let them hit the sides kinda instead of both coming together in the back of the seat post . I just welded the bottom too quick before I got that part figured out and now its a little harder to work with. I have other tools that will solve the problem.

Thanks Iride glad you like it so far. Might turn out to be something.

RPJ ....I seem to work better when stuff is laying everywhere. I have one of those big rolling toolboxes in my garage , but to keep going over to it and getting tools dosen't work for me. I like to be able to grab something up from a pile of stuff and use. Bad upbringing I guess. :roll: :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Steve ...Ballroom. It looks pretty good for my first time. I'm sure I will get either better or faster as I learn how to do them. I think on the next one I will bend the part by the seat post. I'm learning so I wasn't expecting this one to be really that good. :wink:

Latest posts

Back