Coaster Brake Challenge 12

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cbc12web.jpg

more info at : www.atomiccycles.com

Hahah...tba my friend tba. :)

It's got the GBP crown logo on the seatstay bridge, but it's not a looptail and it's running a 1"threaded fork (although maybe there's an adaptor in ply...) No canti bosses, either. I like it!

I'm so jelly of this race. Wish I lived in your area. Looks like fun.

Me, too. I've been talking with some friends/acquaintances/riding buddies/ adversaries about doing an (almost) anything goes cruiser race. Just need to sort out entry parameters and venue(s); plus strategies for flying under the radar as far as insurance and LE goes....

I see a looptail...:acute:
I can't really make it out at the dropouts, but it looks like you may be right. Either way, it's not a full loop like the Article 1.... the seatstays don't connect in a loop, but just meet at the seat tube like a regular bike... Can't see what's going on behind the BB shell, either...

Hopefully, Paul will come thru with some pics/info.

Last edited:
Oh, dang... how'd I miss that shot?

Definitely a LOOP out back, and definitely the same style of ends as my Article 1 frame has, but the Article 1 back end is one continuous loop
2013frames%20(10).JPG
running from the seat stays to the dropouts to the cigarette box behind the BB shell.... I can't get a look at the bike from the CBC around the BB junction, but the loop is there at the dropouts.... not at the seat stay/seat tube junction. I do think you're right re: the Cook Bros tribute theme....

It may make an appearance at the next cbc.....We'll see.

Paul, what gearing do you run on your personal bike when doing the CBC?

Do most the gear inches very between all the guys that ride it? Or is there a sweet spot most everyone agrees on?

Well every one is different, but you're using common single speed mountain bike gearing. Most new single speed mtb's are 32/20 or around there. Some people are more mashers than spinners. I do a lot with a 2:1 ratio which is pretty hard before the challenge and then switch to my "race" bike a 50's monarch that I have geared 36/22. The pace if much higher than what you do when riding alone or even with friends. I had to learn not to blow up and just run at 80-90% the whole race saving some for an attack here and there, there is some tactics to it for sure. Anyway I have a fleet of loaners I'm working on that are nicer than what I ride if anyone wants to try it and needs a bike, let me know.

900635d1402593535t-coaster-brake-challenge-12-cbcloaner-2-.jpg

900634d1402593531t-coaster-brake-challenge-12-cbcloaner-1-.jpg

900633d1402593525t-coaster-brake-challenge-12-cbcloaner1.jpg

900637d1402593533t-coaster-brake-challenge-12-cbcloaner-4-.jpg

My updated loaner fleet, most of these are nicer than the bike I ride for the cbc.

I can't make the 6th, we have our Strandie Ride on the 5th and the following day we're busy.

But I have a bike ready to roll! Just need to swap the gearing from my 44-18 to something lower...

Latest posts

Back