Cleaning and polishing frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on an aluminium frame that i got after the paint had been stripped off, however it left some sort of primer and residue. I'm trying to bring the frame to a mirror finish and my uncle told me the best way to achieve this is to use quadruple ott steal wool, the problem with this is it takes a long time and i need to finish this build soon so i can sell it. Does anyone know any methods faster than this such as cleaning compounds or anything else?

-crazy

I can post pictures of the frame to show what "residue" im talking about if needed
Aluminum frames can be sanded, finer grit sanding doesn't leave aggressive marks as bad, heavy duty non scented oven cleaner & or Goo Gone Pro Graffiti Remover will eat most paint to bare metal; scrub off with sos or steel wool

Aluminum frames can be sanded, finer grit sanding doesn't leave aggressive marks as bad, heavy duty non scented oven cleaner & or Goo Gone Pro Graffiti Remover will eat most paint to bare metal; scrub off with sos or steel wool
I agree, I used a palm sander with 300 grit to remove residue and then went directly to hand applied "Autosol" paste to get a satin look on my Kona MB. The higher the shine the more the imperfection show up and also the maintenance to keep the shine.
IMG_0595.JPG

index.php

Wow! Looks cool!
index.php

I got this bike like this and I'd love to get the rest of the paint off!

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-lajolla.110066/
I used a gel type paint remover and it took awhile, there used to be a "aircraft stripper" that you could spray on but I don't think it is available anymore. us56456712 had a thread on a cheap sandblaster that would be great on the welded joint areas as I know I spent a lot of time cleaning the paint from there.
The finish on the aluminum was not that great so I opted for the satin finish but still I sanded the whole frame to get it to a uniform look.
Of course when using chemicals common sense is key.
Oven cleaner can pit aluminum. Be careful if you try this.
I usually use oven cleaner to strip anodizing off aluminum and I could see if you left it on long enough it could result in pitting, again common sense goes a long way.

I used a gel type paint remover and it took awhile, there used to be a "aircraft stripper" that you could spray on but I don't think it is available anymore. us56456712 had a thread on a cheap sandblaster that would be great on the welded joint areas as I know I spent a lot of time cleaning the paint from there.
The finish on the aluminum was not that great so I opted for the satin finish but still I sanded the whole frame to get it to a uniform look.
Of course when using chemicals common sense is key.

I usually use oven cleaner to strip anodizing off aluminum and I could see if you left it on long enough it could result in pitting, again common sense goes a long way.
I didn’t know it removed anodizing. I’m going to try that.

I didn’t know it removed anodizing. I’m going to try that.
Yes,it works great. Do your research on the safe handling and proper procedures when handling these chemicals before any attempt to use.

Also, once the anodizing is removed it is prone to oxidize and lose it's shine.

I agree in not using OC for paint removal, and for removing

Are you referring to using with paint or anodizing....
Both! Oven cleaner is really strong, hard to control how much it strips! Usually anodized parts fade unevenly or just turn a lighter shade, the raw rim sides just pit...
Paint can be removed with elbow grease, anodized is that color! Deal with it, color.

Last edited:
Both! Oven cleaner is really strong, hard to control how much it strips! Usually anodized parts fade unevenly or just turn a lighter shade, the raw rim sides just pit...
Paint can be removed with elbow grease, anodized is that color! Deal with it, color.
Anodizing is a process (reverse plating)to protect raw aluminum from oxidation and corrosion. I first removed anodizing in the '80's for BMX guy's that wanted their bikes to stand out from the others by stripping and polishing the hubs ,stems etc. Now the whole patina trend is popular among collectors and there is nothing wrong with that.
I have done hundreds of parts over the years (bike,car,motorcycle) with 100% success.
If someone is not happy with the paint on their bike they can change it, it is the same with anodized parts and it is their choice. Deal with it!

Now if you excuse me I am off to strip off the old anodizing and polish this old stem I found in my parts bin Lol!
IMG_0879.JPG

Waste your time all you want with sanding and such to strip but Heavy Duty non scented oven cleaner or Goo Gone Graffiti remover on bicycles is about the fastest 2 ways to chemically strip them anymore. Mini Wire brush the welded/seamed areas. Common sense is key as You shouldn't leave anything corrosive on for too long but I have always been in a hurry when removing paint or anodizing as who wants to wait forever? Everybody has their own set ways though I suppose. What works Best for You vs Me.

Do so at your own risks; I have common sense to do it out side or a well vented area.
Same when my mom would oven clean the oven; she'd open the windows & use a box fan + had the over head vent fan going.

I have mirror shined aluminum by these methods, fine grit sanding & using Mother's mag & aluminum polish by hand. When the sun hits this stuff it's blinding like some of the Best Chrome you could ever have done.
Polish Maybe once every 6 months; Unless you leave it outside in poor weather frequently or jus' ride through pretty nasty stuff regularly. Avoid Anything with Ammonia on bare aluminum as it'll oxidize it / stain it. My buddy learned the hard way on a set of Boss wheels using a tire cleaner

P.S Aluminum is a Rough jagged looking surface under a microscope so the sanding is Necessity if You're going to polish it

Anodizing is a process (reverse plating)to protect raw aluminum from oxidation and corrosion. I first removed anodizing in the '80's for BMX guy's that wanted their bikes to stand out from the others by stripping and polishing the hubs ,stems etc. Now the whole patina trend is popular among collectors and there is nothing wrong with that.
I have done hundreds of parts over the years (bike,car,motorcycle) with 100% success.
If someone is not happy with the paint on their bike they can change it, it is the same with anodized parts and it is their choice. Deal with it!

Now if you excuse me I am off to strip off the old anodizing and polish this old stem I found in my parts bin Lol!View attachment 151447
Nooooooooooo! I would kill for a red Tuff neck! My Dyno needs that stem....
20210104_112635.jpg

Waste your time all you want with sanding and such to strip but Heavy Duty non scented oven cleaner or Goo Gone Graffiti remover on bicycles is about the fastest 2 ways to chemically strip them anymore. Mini Wire brush the welded/seamed areas. Common sense is key as You shouldn't leave anything corrosive on for too long but I have always been in a hurry when removing paint or anodizing as who wants to wait forever? Everybody has their own set ways though I suppose. What works Best for You vs Me.

Do so at your own risks; I have common sense to do it out side or a well vented area.
Same when my mom would oven clean the oven; she'd open the windows & use a box fan + had the over head vent fan going.

I have mirror shined aluminum by these methods, fine grit sanding & using Mother's mag & aluminum polish by hand. When the sun hits this stuff it's blinding like some of the Best Chrome you could ever have done.
Polish Maybe once every 6 months; Unless you leave it outside in poor weather frequently or jus' ride through pretty nasty stuff regularly. Avoid Anything with Ammonia on bare aluminum as it'll oxidize it / stain it. My buddy learned the hard way on a set of Boss wheels using a tire cleaner

P.S Aluminum is a Rough jagged looking surface under a microscope so the sanding is Necessity if You're going to polish it
Well put, I have heard good things about Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish but I have never tried it . I have the luxury of a large 1 hp polishing lathe with all the abrasive and polishing wheels but it sounds like the Mothers would work for me on keeping the shine up.
I polished a Nexus 7 speed hub and drum brake front hub on one of my builds and they are oxidizing from sitting around but it has been a few years.

@mikeeebikey you keep using that pic, it's driving me crazy! What can you tell me about the background? That fashion (?) display is incredible! Is is all metal?
I was out riding around downtown Clearwater and almost fell off my bike when I saw that display! It appears to be all metal. I do keep using that picture because I love it!

Latest posts

Back