... clean grease and grime off of hands.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used crisco, crisco and sugar, crisco and salt, vegetable oil, clean motor oil, various (axle) greases, and penetrating sprays. then wipe off on a rag or paper towels. They all seem to work, but so does go-jo . Mostly I now use dawn dishwashing liquid followed with some lotion cause it takes out ALL the oils...

Mostly I now use dawn dishwashing liquid followed with some lotion cause it takes out ALL the oils...
I do the same, but follow-up the dish soap with homemade/grown CBD infused coconut oil. It restores and helps heal any internal or external dings I may have picked up while working.

When I use the polishing wheel, I glove-up with Mechanix Wear gloves and give them a good dish soap washing afterward. Due to it being a hassle, I normally wait to polish parts until the "to be polished" box is full unless it's a rush job.

Dawn dish soap and some type of brush or scrubbie
Coconut oil, cbd oil, and sugar scrub afterwards

But I'm a big fan of nitrile gloves for everything. Cheap and disposable

When I was in high school my buddies father was a rail road mechanic. Before doing a job he smeared soap on his hands and dug his nails into the soap so his finger nails had soap under them. He swore by this and even did it for dirty house hold chores. I don’t recall if I ever tried this.

8b0ad79a39a653b40fa92f40c643d42b39ae21c9.jpeg

I keep a small squirt bottle of mineral spirits near the sink. Dawn from a soap pump dispenser, a dash of mineral spirits, a dash of comet cleanser and a brush will remove anything I've gotten into.
I'm not saying your hands will be soft and smooth when done - but they'll be clean.

I keep a small squirt bottle of mineral spirits near the sink. Dawn from a soap pump dispenser, a dash of mineral spirits, a dash of comet cleanser and a brush will remove anything I've gotten into.
I'm not saying your hands will be soft and smooth when done - but they'll be clean.
If they're softer it's because the outer layer of your skin has been removed

I do the same with the goop hand cleaner, wet my hands with it before any work.
Very good cleaner too, needs to be folowed up with soap and water.

When I was in high school my buddies father was a rail road mechanic. Before doing a job he smeared soap on his hands and dug his nails into the soap so his finger nails had soap under them. He swore by this and even did it for dirty house hold chores. I don’t recall if I ever tried this.

A bunch of years ago my brother spun a bearing in his small block Chevy. He doesn't wrench so I got the honors. After pulling the engine our hands were perma-greased. His wife stopped by with a bucket of KFC for lunch and by the time we were done eating my hands were super clean. I don't know if it was the grease or the 21 herbs and spices but KFC is magic.

Latest posts

Back