"Chunkpunk" Doneski!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright well, its time to unveil my plans here for build.
I've spent lots and lots of hours researching and designing for this project.

This is as much an art project for me, as it is a bike.

I have 2 concerns with this project, the first is that I have enough time to complete it within the designated time, and that its not so completely out there that people will say its "too much".

I'll be honest, every other bike I've built has been trivial compared to what I'm thinking about undertaking here.
I plan to use some techniques and materials I've not seen used on bikes before. I've learned some new things, and still need to learn others in order to finish this as currently planned.

The bicycle I'm using for this build is a 2014 Mongoose Dolomite.
Here is how it sits before the build off:

As a new member to this site, this will be my first buildoff.
I do have to say that I was very inspired by Fordsnake's build from last year, and having never even hearing of "steampunk" before I had to look it up on the net. Amazingly, it was a style that I had always found cool but never knew there was a term for it. Low and behold, theres a whole community of incredibly imaginative and creative people out there. And better yet, they believe in reusing, repurposing and creating their own things, they basically live a ratrod life.

Also, there is a whole different slew of "Punk" styles out there. Steampunk, cyberpunk, dieselpunk, biopunk. All kinds of cool looking styles.

So without giving away my concept sketches and ideas I'll give you a vague idea of what I have planned.

While I originally intended the bike design to be 100% Steampunk, after doing more research into the styles, I found that it really didn't fit into any single "punk" genre. If I were to give words to describe what I intend it would be "A mix of Madmax, Steampunk, with some Tesla thrown in"

This build will feature custom built fenders, a custom built tank, upgraded components, as well as various aesthetic elements I've never seen used on a bicycle before.

As I build the various parts up, I will give share with you my conceptual design sketches, as well as the various other ideas I had debated and decided against for whatever reason. While I've spent a good couple of months planning this project, I do not actually have an end product in mind, but I a very good framework to guide me.

I was wondering if anyone was gonna throw a Dolomite in the mix. Good luck.

This is as much an art project for me, as it is a bike.

I plan to use some techniques and materials I've not seen used on bikes before.

If I were to give words to describe what I intend it would be "A mix of Madmax, Steampunk, with some Tesla thrown in"

Various aesthetic elements I've never seen used on a bicycle before.
Wow! Gotta say I am loving the sound of everything here! I really hope you have the time to pull it off, looking forward to watching it happen!

Luke.

Finally decided on a set of bars and ordered them just now.

Yes, they are motorcycle bars. I had to get another stem in order to fit them onto the bike. I had no idea there were so many different size bars for both bicycles and motorcycles.

I'm pretty big into the dieselpunk community. The bike that I built in my profile pic is very dieselpunk, and I often dress with 40s era tips-of-the-hat. I like the esthetic of steampunk, but it's never called to me the way that the 1920s, 30s, and 40s has.

Good luck with your build!

Speaking of dress, in preparation for this build, did a lot of research into Steampunk, and decided to make a costume for when I ride around, as well as to practice some things I picked up while looking at the 'punk forums, which in turn also led me to the cosplay forums.

Heres a tophat I made:

And a set of goggles I made out of a pair of tinted prescription glasses.

Still working on some biomechanical arms. Those most likely will be done after the August deadline, before Halloween.

Looking forward to this one.:)

What's interesting about your story to me, is that about a year and a half ago I was planning a steampunk bike and while researching it I stumbled on to this forum. It's like your story but in reverse.

You got my attention with, "chunkpunk," which of course reminded me of Billy Milano and D. Boon, then you said steam, diesel and cool stuff. I am all eyes in the window!

You got my attention with, "chunkpunk," which of course reminded me of Billy Milano and D. Boon, then you said steam, diesel and cool stuff. I am all eyes in the window!

I'll be interested to see how this develops. I have the same bike in my collection.

Man, trying to knock out as much of the stuff as I can here asap. Between a 1 year old on the weekends, looking at houses for myself and my mom, and a 11hr weekday work day I'm gonna be pressed for time here.

Anyways, I got her broke down last night, its been raining so much, that I want it ready to go when I get a break in weather and time. Broke another chinese chain breaker last night also. To anyone that has one of these bikes, I highly, highly suggest disassembling and regreasing them. I ordered one the day they hit, and rode it around, and everything seemed smooth, but taking it apart a couple months later here, the bearings are nearly devoid of grease.

It appears that some of the parts I wanted went out of stock the past couple of weeks, hopefully they come back in stock from the only supplier.

Using a modern MTB style frame is putting me at a severe disadvantage from the start compared to the guys with Old Elgins, Colsons, and CWCs and such. A simple repaint will not suffice by itself. That's why I need to drastically alter the lines of the bike to make its origin unknown.

Most of my build I can knock out in a couple of weeks, but the "Tank" on this bike has gone through a few different conceptual phases. I've got a few drawings and ideas of what I wanted to do in that space, I had thought that I was gonna settle on something about 2 weeks ago, but I'm fairly certain now that the style clashes too much with the rest of the bike. The only hint I can give you now, is that it will contain a power source, because well that's all I know for sure, lol.

Here is a shot of some of the different paints I plan on using in this build.

There a few other paints I also plan on using, but I don't want to give those away just yet ;)

Latest posts

Back