Chopping a Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Genesis cruiser with 32" on it. My thought is to put a 27 or 29 wheel on the back, and cut the seat and chain stays so the rear wheel dosen't look out of place. I wanna leave the 32 up front but take the front to level the bike out.
So my question is, where should I cut the seat & chain stays and I'm curious to see what impact this has on the crank assembly.
All suggestions are welcome.

32" Genesis Men's Beach Cruiser Bike:
  • Beach cruiser bike
  • 32" frame
  • Handcrafted aluminum frame
  • Single speed
  • Coaster brake
  • 32" wheels
  • Aluminum hub
  • 48-spoke alloy rims
  • Steel handlebars
  • Lycra and leather cruiser seat
  • Standard plastic pedals
  • Weight: 40 lbs
For frame cutting and welding, steel would be the way to go, especially in the beginning.

Obviously, question one is whether or not you can weld aluminum. If no, stop and don't cut. Find someone who can, and let them decide what will work.
If yes, I'd say look for a straight spot in the stays so that you can remove a section that doesnt curve, make things line up better. Alignment is crucial to make it track properly. And remember, if you are downsizing tires by 3" (32 - 29), you would only have to shorten em 1.5", radius not diameter.
The tricky part is that rake you are planning. Would you be re positioning the head tube? Alignment again! If the forks are aluminum, I don't think they can easily be bent.

The welding will be done by a professional. Thank you for the 411 on the shortening of the stays. At this time I'm not able to locate a 29"/700 with the width I need.
I'm not looking to do this on the cheap, but I don't want to put too much $$$ into it either. I could forgo the taking of the neck and if necessary put shorter peddle cranks on it. Any input is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Two different versions with 32" wheels that I can find
Curved top tube Genesis
images.jpeg

Straight top tube Kent
e953cdfd-5645-483a-b399-d2197db47acb_1.8cda03198c7820208a783fe112639cfb.jpeg

Stays already look a little shorter on the Kent.
I dunno man, if your welder is a bike builder, I'd let them decide how to line it up. I can see your vision, but getting there isn't easy. In my mind, you'd have to cut off the seat stays at a straight spot, take your inch or inch and a half out of the chain stays, put it back together, and see what has to be done with the seat stays. If you remove too much, the chain stays rotate up, bringing the BB closer to the ground. Mock up, look it over, try again.

Yes, I'm rolling with the curved tube. The welding service's fee would have been $750 to make the cuts and weld. Good service isn't cheap but I can't justify that cost.
You shared a 29" wheel would require about 1.5" of stay removal. Would it be logical to assume it would lower the ... end 1.5" as well? Twenty seven inch wheel 2.5 inch, 26" wheel 3" lower?
Tonight I'll slip on a 26" to get a first hand look at it, and see what I come up with. There's a chance that a 29 or 27 without a rake might work. Thank you.q

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back