Chopper Style (fat rear tire)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Sensor

Tomorrow is the big day! If I had the tube, I'd do it today...
The Plan:
Me and some prybars, soap and water, grease, garden hose...
were going in the garage with the tire and the rim...
Only one comes out the way it went in :D
Hopefully I will not be found lying on the floor in a bloody mess, crying like a baby afterward! lol

Man, I knew this thing would be hard, but after putting the tire and the rim together for this picture... this is gonna be a battle! Hopefully the next phot is of the 2 of them mated in the way God and nature intended...

tireandrim_zps98ed27d0.jpg

Before the end of the day the disk rotors harware will be installed... Not much else to say.
I was using one of those Park Tolls spoke tensioner for installing the spokes, for this application it was a great help. It took 3-4 times around for each wheel to get all of the spokes to the right tension. I used a larger/thicker flange (3/16") for this application because I was going to be attaching the disk brake rotors to them. This meant the spokes did not fit in the holes perfectly... that was part of the situation in the earlier problems with the rim. Each pass thru with the spoke tightening seated the spokes tighter, but the bending meant the spokes were not the same tension. I am going to test them tonight, than again tomorrow morning to make sure they are done stretching...

Rich

I am not sure if Rich ever got the tire on, we distracted him a little with the muscle bike build off... :mrgreen:
This is his entry so far...
musclebikeseathandlebars_zps648dce42.jpg

musclebikeseatpanfrontdropouts_zps9487480b.jpg

Awesome bike yes? 8) He has hit a couple of speedbumps trying to finish it, only 1 week to go, so head over to the build thread and give him your support!
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=68143&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=285

Luke.

Thanks for minding the store for me while I was away Luke :mrgreen: Unfortunately as much as I have wanted to work on this guy the last couple of weeks, life, school and the muscle bike buildoff have been keeping me from doing it. As for the tire, whether it takes 15 minutes or 8 hours :roll: It will be on that rim 8)

It will be a ton of fun getting back to this build again. Thanks for those that stop by and say hello.

Rich

Thanks for dropping bye and saying hello Luke!
Yea, things have been crazy busy for me the last 4 weeks, I've been letting out some creative energy at work, lots of fancy wood work, tile and custom stairs to play around with... than there is school, and an aging father to tend too :)

While everyone on these forums are working on their cool buildoff bikes, I am going to be on the sidelines cheering everyone on, and playing in the garage on my 3 bikes :wink: Time to finish off everything I have now... than move onto some new challenges.

Rich

Hey Luke!
thanks for checking up on me and the bike :) things got real serious around here this summer... with school, aging parent, financial stuff, looking for work... the bike building went into stall mode. Things should start to move again though. I am looking to join the "muscle bile 2013" contest. I purchased some cool old machinery some weeks back that will help me realize the vision I have for building custom bikes it will take some money and a bunch of creativity to put the tooling together for the old lathe and mill I purchased. N.but I have a dream!!! :)

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Rich

Latest posts

Back