Childhood Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I've got something stuck in my head and hope that if I figure it out, I can let it go.

I had a bike when I was a girl and I'm trying to remember which model it was. I thought it was a Schwinn Debutante, but from all my seaches, I can't find any information that it came with a stainless steel/chrome frame. Does the following description ring any bells with anyone?

Schwinn
Women's Tank
Single Speed Coaster Brake
Purchased in 1964 from old stock (how old I don't know)
Chrome/Stainless Steel Frame and Fenders (no paint except for trim)
Trimmed in Green/Faded to Aqua?
Front and Rear Racks
Two-toned S Seat had Crash Bar and Springs
White Wall Tires
Headlight in Tank
Odomedter

Stainless fenders wouldn't be unusual for a mid-50's to mid-60's Schwinn.

The Debutante was a regular model in the lineup for several years.

All of Schwinn's frames were steel, just regular steel, not stainless, but they do last just about forever.

This was the lineup in 1961...

1961_03.jpg

AS you can see they were then offered with a blue and white scheme.

However you might be thinking of a Sears/Murray/JC Higgins ladies Flightliner or similar "space age" bike. Those did have chrome frames, which could easily be thought of as stainless, and many were offered in aqua paint colors. They also had a funky T-shaped tank.

New England Musclebike Museum features one of these on this page:

http://www.nemusclebikes.com/bc6.php

Have a look and see if that's familiar.

Good luck in your quest!
--Rob

Eva.HPTA said:
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I've got something stuck in my head and hope that if I figure it out, I can let it go.

I had a bike when I was a girl and I'm trying to remember which model it was. I thought it was a Schwinn Debutante, but from all my seaches, I can't find any information that it came with a stainless steel/chrome frame. Does the following description ring any bells with anyone?

Schwinn
Women's Tank
Single Speed Coaster Brake
Purchased in 1964 from old stock (how old I don't know)
Chrome/Stainless Steel Frame and Fenders (no paint except for trim)
Trimmed in Green/Faded to Aqua?
Front and Rear Racks
Two-toned S Seat had Crash Bar and Springs
White Wall Tires
Headlight in Tank
Odomedter

None of the 60s Schwinns had the light in the tank. Perhaps it was an AMF Roadmaster Skyrider Deluxe. Although this may not have the original seat, my wife has one that's the aqua color you describe.
GrChiIo

Thanks for your help. I'm fuzzy on the headlight(s), but I do remember that it was a Schwinn and it had a silver finish on the frame, which doesn't exist. Other than the silver frame, I'd swear it was a Debutante.

Here's the story:

My father came home one day in 1964, with two bikes for my sister, 6 and myself, 4. Dad was at the bike shop in our small town and noticed two matching bikes covered in dust and made an offer of $100 for both, which apparently was a steal. The bike shop owner took the offer saying they were older and expensive models which no one seemed interested in buying. They were brand new and decked out to the max. They were already out of date and we hated them instantly. (silly ungrateful girls that we were) My parentl's friends would ooh and ahhh and ask to ride them.

Barely being able to reach the handlebars,I learned to ride a bike, on gravel, with many a skinned knee to show for my efforts. Standing on the pedals because I couldn't reach the seat, I rode my younger sister around on the rear rack while she held onto the crashbar of the two toned S seat. The headlight and odometer didn't last long on gravel. but the bike itself wouldn't die. As I got to be a teen and could finally sit to ride, my friends were all perched on sleek ten speeds, I hated it even more. After I went to college, it ended up at my father's cabin, still in working order, for whomever felt like taking a ride. Of course, I wish I had it now, but I came to appreciate my bike too late to enjoy it's beauty.

Headlight in tank and a chrome frame doesn't sound like any Schwinn I know of. It sounds more like a J.C.Higgins Spaceliner. Remember, to a lot of people, "Schwinn" and ""bicycle" were used interchangeably back then. Gary

Eva.HPTA said:
Thank you all for your help! I believe I found the bike. It's an AMF westpoint. I would have sworn it had a two toned seat, but I guess nearly 50 years can fuzzy things up.

http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... -Westpoint

The other companies had 2 tone seats, just without the S. Also, several had chrome frames around that time, including Huffy, Murray, and Snyder/Rollfast, who buyilt this one I have for Firestone stores.
adamtinkererscollection010.jpg

But, the only ones with aqua highlights are the amf and Murray/Sears bikes. -Adam

Latest posts

Back