BO15 Chewy's Fallout Twin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went back to the local bike store to pick up some plastic rim strips, because the rubber rim strips disintegrated in a year.
IMG_20200616_163541.jpg

In the closet, I spotted and really liked the tread pattern on the Big Fat Larry's, so they came home with me too. Rim strips on order, be here in a week or less
IMG_20200616_163530.jpg

View attachment 125730

Last edited:
I like your frame design. I look forward to seeing how you align the head tube and dropouts. Do you have a jig for setting them up?

I like your frame design. I look forward to seeing how you align the head tube and dropouts. Do you have a jig for setting them up?
Yes, I have a homemade frame jig that I will be putting it together with.

I Still have a couple of things to do with the stay bends as well as lacing a different hub on the rear wheel to get the dropout width.

Dig those tires!
I was looking for a funny pic of a fat Larry, but I found this gem instead from Fat Larry's Band. It's got a solid base line just like your build.

Well, I had ordered a set of tires last week, but when I saw the Big Fat Larry's at the LBS I knew they would fit in well.

I picked up some CSTs from my favorite online store because they had the RWL look that I like. My dart has had Kelly's, BFGs, Road Huggers, Even Futuras, all in RWL since i bought it from my dad almost two decades ago....
IMG_20200617_182825.jpg

Anyway, these CSTs turned out really good.
IMG_20200617_182446.jpg

They have the muscle look. Remind me a little of the Eagle Gts of the 80s...
IMG_20200617_182506.jpg

Will have a decision to make on whichever tire fits in at some point after the paint is sprayed. [emoji48]

My first round of fat tires for my Fat Rat Pugsley back in 2010 were an earlier version of the Big Fat Larry. Larry was still pretty svelte at only 3.8 " at the waistline then.

My first round of fat tires for my Fat Rat Pugsley back in 2010 were an earlier version of the Big Fat Larry. Larry was still pretty svelte at only 3.8 " at the waistline then.
3.8s are still good sized, and square up nicely even on a 57mm wheel. Went looking for the build in the archives and it escapes me.

The LBS called and had me pick the r strips I ordered a couple days ago.

IMG_20200618_143128.jpg

These will do the trick.

My Fat Rat Pugsley was before I entered builds on RRB. I actually joined in 2010, the year I built it, but wasn't savvy to the forum stuff yet, so I built it outside of the web site. I'll dig up some process photos and send them to you. They are on my other laptop.

My Fat Rat Pugsley was before I entered builds on RRB. I actually joined in 2010, the year I built it, but wasn't savvy to the forum stuff yet, so I built it outside of the web site. I'll dig up some process photos and send them to you. They are on my other laptop.
Funny how we all have old laptops and computers that haven't been fired up for a decade... ... That we just keep around for the photos and content.

Last year at OBC as I watched a number of the heavier stretch custom one and three speeds have issues on the hills on rancho for the tiki ride I was glad my heavier bike had 10 speeds.

I expect to go on that same ride this year on this bike. So, I could have spin on a 7spd set of gears, but with the high loop mount, the more I thought about i, the more I didn't want to have to figure out the derailleur at that angle.
IMG_20200619_174704.jpg

Yes I couldda engineered a derailleur in, but figured this 8 speed internal with roller brake would be a little easier to mount. Not sure I will leave it silver.

IMG_20200619_174756.jpg

https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator/
IMG_20200619_174749.jpg

I did some measurements and did some calculating and it looks like the spokes already on the wider hub, at 250mm a spoke, by the calcs they will fit the nexxus.
Screenshot_20200619-181018.jpg

Any offset worries with getting that chain line to clear the big rim / tire combo MC? I'm assuming you are using a 100 mm BB ala fat bike style.

Those roller hubs look SOOOO COOOOL!
Agreed, to me, the heat sink almost looks like big a cutoff blade.
Any offset worries with getting that chain line to clear the big rim / tire combo MC? I'm assuming you are using a 100 mm BB ala fat bike style.
Hmmm, you bring up a good point, I will want to offset the hub a little.

IMG_20200620_065129.jpg

To keep the chain off the legs, the Chain routing will have to go parallel to the bottom tube rail just into the stay area. Then up to the hub. I think with the 100mm BB at the front I should be able get a straight line to the rollers and sprocket.

There is also an adapter for the pulley on Shimano IGH that allows you to use with an offset rear sprocket if the tire happens to be a little too wide and cause chain line problems.
That heat sink is huuuuge! o_O
That is great to know.

_________

Was a busy weekend. Had a club ride Saturday night, rode up to a park and hung out in the amphitheatre till 1. Rode the old stretched Double-Bar I made in a winter build-off a couple years back.

Father's day brought a party and some components for the build. A pair of half link chains, crankset and pedals.
IMG_20200624_064515.jpg

Monday afternoon I spent some time with Juan fro the artistic cruisers bike shop and cut/threaded the spokes to fit the new hub.
IMG_20200624_063956.jpg

Custom hand cut spokes are Just waiting on new nipples to put it together now.

Sexy hub!

Latest posts

Back