Checking in from NE...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone...

Haven't been into bicycles since I was a kid with three newspaper routes. Back then, I started out riding on an early 1970's yellow/black Schwinn Stingray with a banana seat and ape hanger handlebars and ended up in my teens racing BMX. If memory serves me correctly I was riding a Mongoose with Redline forks and Ashtabula cranks.

Recently though...I've been dealing with quite a few health problems, so I'm tying to get some more exercise to improve my general overall health. Thought riding a bicycle sounded like a good idea, I'm just not into the walking thing. So, I started looking at purchasing a bike and actually liked the looks of the Cruiser models. The mountain bikes, commuters, hybrids and all that jazz just wasn't doing it for me, so I started solely looking at Beach Cruisers.

About that time, I remembered a bike that looked like a Cruiser up in the attic when we we're prepping it for blowing insulation up there a couple of years ago, so I went up the ladder to take a look and here is what I pulled out.

What I know about the bike is very little. I do know it's been sitting in the same spot resting on rafters since 1968 and before that my father pulled it out of an attic of one of his rental units.

So..that's where I'm at. I'm sitting here with a bicycle that I thought about just dumping on ebay or craigslist and using the money towards a Micargi or a Firmstrong cruiser...but I actually felt a little ill when going to do so. I think she might be a keeper. Instead of buying a new one, I think I might just fix 'er up.

Best Regards,

Liquid Cool

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

That sounds like a good plan for that bike. For health reasons too. I'm nearing SS age, so I know the benefits of riding, I take no hpb medication anymore, or cholesterol meds either. In fact just normal painkillers for arthritis now and then, otherwise no medication. I was on about 8 different meds when I was 50, all the usual stuff they prescribe for everyone nowadays. I'm doing much better now.

I would recommend gears for your bike, unless everything is flat where you ride. An internal geared hub, 2 or 3 speed will come in handy and you don't need to add brakes, those hubs are offered with coaster brakes. But you would have to ditch the skip tooth setup.

Welcome from Ohio and those are the reasons I got back into bikes also. The bike is cool Id fix it and ride if it were me. I'm sure you will find all the help you need here these are nice guys.

Poorman

Wildcat...

I thought about gears, but I live in a neighborhood that is flat and surrounds a lake. It's about a 3 mile trek around and I probably won't be venturing far from the neighborhood. I am keeping that option open though...I'd actually like to get on the bike and ride it so I can see what I'm up against. She ain't light....:).

I also wanted to thank Poorman for the reply. Appreciative. I've started to "watch" your thread and if you do a build, please let me know...I'd like to see what your plans are.

From my perspective, these really aren't bikes we're dealing with here, but works of art and everyone seems to have their own vision of what they should look like.

I'm still developing mine, although I'll tell you right up front...there's no room for pink in my plans...:giggle:.

Liquid Cool

Latest posts

Back