Cheap and easy shifter mount and stickshift conversion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The mount is first. Cut a piece off the end of an old handlebar, grind it to match the contour of your frame and cut 2 slots in it top and bottom next to where it will mount to the frame...
shifter1.jpg

shifter2.jpg

Then just put 'er in place and tighten the clamp. Trim the excess when you're done. I used a piece of an old rimstrip to protect the frame.
shifter3.jpg

Viola! A shifter mount! :cool:
shifter4.jpg

Next, pick up a 1" pvc cap and a long 1/4"bolt and nut from your local hardware store. The cap should fit right over top of the shifter once you remove the rubber shifter cover...
shifter5.jpg

shifter6.jpg

Grind the flats on the bolt just enough so that it will fit between the ridges molded into the shifter. you might have to take a bit off the top of the bolthead as well...
shifter7.jpg

shifter8.jpg

drill a hole in the pvc cap near the edge and feed the bolt through. tighten it in place so that the now narrow head of the bolt will fit between those ridges when the cap is slid into place. I used a curved brake washer on the outside to prevent distorting the cap. If it fits too tight, file the head of the bolt a bit...
shifter9.jpg

Mine fit perfect! nice and snug...
shifter10.jpg

And here is the finished shifter!
shifter11.jpg

I had some golf club shaft left over from another project, and fellow club member Spokes found me the perfect shift knob for this project (Thanks Spokes!)...Look for it on my latest stretch. :cool:

Great work!!!

Great tutorial, thanks!

I've done something similar a while ago but failed because the cap that i've chosen was made from thin vacuum cleaner tube, it simply bent when i tried to shift. But it was nicely chromed :)

555b59f8335e.jpg

after a short mindstorm i've came up with this idea:

d904f101093c.jpg

basically, i've used a seat post clamp, the biggest one, as a PVC cap and tighten it with long M8 bolt.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Cam,
This is simply genius! I'll be 'referencing' this in a future build for sure!

The mods need to add this to the 'How-To' section!

Cheers,
Dr. T

I agree and done. :wink:

The idea is good and quite simple to fabricate, however my experience with this way of "stickshifting" is not 100% bulltproof.
After two years of use, the plastic ridges were just worn off. So I did a little make-over and made a construction just like HippieCruiser did (lower pic). No hassle up to now.

I will be using this idea for sure. The chief will be getting some new goodies after the first of the year (a fork sized box marked FELT showed up here a few days ago after i laid some heavy hints about the abraham linkage :D ). This is something i had started to make last year and just got frustrated over.

wimpy said:
The idea is good and quite simple to fabricate, however my experience with this way of "stickshifting" is not 100% bulltproof.
After two years of use, the plastic ridges were just worn off. So I did a little make-over and made a construction just like HippieCruiser did (lower pic). No hassle up to now.
I've thought about using a very thin coat of PVC glue inside the cap before the final fitting, or adding self tapping "set screws" if needed. I like that seat clamp idea!

I just completed doing this shifter for my typhoon. Simple, easy and very clean. I LIKE IT.

ctaccrusier in western NC

VERY COOL!~ I have been looking for a better shifter for the Nexus hubs a long time, thank you for sharing.

They make a part that goes on front brakes. Its metal and you can use one to turn your cable
towards the rear instead of running out. It has a name but I can't remember.
DSCF0003-2.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
They make a part that goes on front brakes. Its metal and you can use one to turn your cable
towards the rear instead of running out. It has a name but I can't remember
Brake noodle. They are used on front and rear Linear pull brakes aka V Brakes.

Latest posts

Back