Chain Assembly

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kind of a newbe question. If this is listed somewhere else please post and I will take a look.

If you have to add length to a chain, more than a links worth, do you use multipal master links or do you put part of the chain back with the pins and links(proper for lack of a better term)?

If you assemble with the pins and links do you use the chain breaker tool or somthing else(assuming you use the tool to take the chain apart) to reassemble the chain?

I usually have spare links laying around for the particular chains I use, if I'm adding I'll just use however many links I need and put them on with the chain breaker tool. Sometimes it takes a bit of fdigeting with the pin insertion to get the link to loosen up but otherwise just use a master link to finish it after that.

And then there used to be 'half links' for when full links were too much length and you couldnt get enough adjustment. I havent tried to buy any recently.......but they really do work well.

Thanks for the imput. I had a new single speed chain that was about 2" short, so I took apart a broke chain. I used 2 master links, but I might go back with the pins.

Latest posts

Back