can't afford moon discs Soooo.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rat Rod Mod of the year award if such a beast exists, I think that every time i see this post and the main page dude.

Hey, it's Tyler, Jerry's grandson the one who bought the army bike off you awhile back, thought i would keep you updated on how i customized it. Like to come see you collection some day! :lol:
DSC03422.jpg
DSC03423.jpg
DSC03425.jpg

I cant seem to find the lids them for sale by them selfs, only as a set with a trash can,which I don't need. then again I do live in backwater nowhere kansas, I have a place looking into ordering some for me

If you wanted to cut your own out of sheet metal, there are "cone calculators" for free on the net... put in the numbers for diameter and height and it will give you the pattern for a flat piece you can then cut out and make your own disk with. Some can even figure the truncated bit which would be the opening for the axle/hub. The ones I looked at were pretty easy and self explanatory.

Carl.

I am ever searching for black corrugated plastic sheet. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and get a pallet of slip sheets, and go into business selling wheel covers.

Actually, There is not much "dishing" of the discs. In fact I had to flatten the lids out a little to make them fit.

Here is my next step up in the lid to disc idea......at my local Home Depot they around $20 each. The diameter seems right , but I'll need to measure. It 'll be a very cheap pair of really cool discs... or a expensive experiment.:cool2:

example......

Super cool tip/how-to/idea, won't the galvanized stuff polish up nicely as well?
Now my question is, exactly how long did it take every raccoon in a hundred mile radius to realize the house with no lids on the trash cans?:rofl:

Something that hasn’t been discussed is the issue of metallurgical combinations that are potentially deleterious; galvanized steel when in contact with steel, stainless steel, aluminum or any of the other alloys used on rims can cause metallurgical oxidation, potentially, resulting in compromises in the structural integrity of the wheel itself.

I recommend using something chemically inert such as plastic or if you are going to use metal, provide an isolation barrier between the two metal surfaces.

Having said all that – this is a brilliant idea on the creative use of non-purposed materials!

BTW, I too dig wheel disks'! :113:
BFKwheeldisk003_zps73a086aa.jpg

Very clever, cool and organic..which is what I like to see in modifications.
I'm not a big moon disk fan....but I'm a fan of your disks.
Because you thought outside of the box.
IMG_0112c.jpg

I aspire to build using whatever works, using non bike specific parts is creative and much more challenging.
Showroom builds are nice for calenders, but it really doesn't impress me much when someone drops 300 bucks on disks and then just screws them on. That's like paying someone to weld your bike, sandblast your bike, powdercoat paint your bike..and then you tighten the bars and call it your build. It's really not, it just means you have more expendable cash.

Anyway, ...lets go back to when we were kids..and when a bike part broke, we'd go down Dad's basement, and find
"something' that sortof worked, and then taped, beat, pasted, glued, screwed clamped or otherwise jammed it together....that's found art right there boy.
:happy:
franco

Latest posts

Back